What could eat thru 2 layers of chicken wire

countrygirl911

Songster
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Mississippi
ok we have a real problem i am down to 2 silkies one millie and 4 americaunas but one has only one wing now. the problem is something has eaten thru the wire that is used on the coop and the run yesterday they were fine and also this morning. what could have eaten thru the chicken wire on the coop door and our 16 X 16 run the holes are 1 inch and are doubled up layers a few weeks ago i lost a silkie to a snake and now today over half of my chickens are gone. very confussed. also the chick with the one wing now do i need to cull him or her

Dogs, coyotes, foxes, raccoons can all get through chicken wire. You need welded wire . Chickens can survive a lot of trauma. I would separate the wounded one, put antibiotic ointment without pain killer on the wound. Bandage it, give her lots of fluids with electrolytes , vitamins and a little molasses or sugar. High protein food like cooked eggs chopped up. Sorry this happened to your. Chickens:-(

the only thing is whe have had chickens for 2 years now and what ever it is does not mess with the older chickens in the first coop we put up 2 years ago what ever it is is only going after the little ones. the ages in the new coop range from 6 to 12 weeks old also the one that survived the attack is walking around fine there is no blood feathers missing but he or she is walking around like nothing has ever happened. you would not be able to tell she has a wing missing unless you looked. also wht ever it is left one chick behind that was dead but its insides were outside and it looked like it had be smashed. why would it fo after the little ones and not the older ones

do i need to bring them in until i can figure out what is getting them? it has to be a bobcat or racoon we do not have any traps to use nore any gun my uncle has some but they have not been shot in several years

I would put them somewhere secure until you can make their coop & run secure. Otherwise, whatever got the others will come back for seconds.

A picture of the damage areas could help us to narrow it down. Chicken wire is to keep chickens in, not things out. replace it with hardware cloth.

Countrygirl. Take a look at the pics of a chewed up trap in my "wiley bandit" topic. Tougher wire than chicken wire by far, that was a coon. As others suggested, welded wire and 1/2" hardware cloth. Use both layered and bury wire horizontally on the outside too for the diggers.

Back
Top Bottom