What could have caused this bald patch and feather damage? Mites?

Sarasaurus89

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2015
Manchester

I'd noticed that Betty had some scruffy feathers around her neck for a few weeks, but had a look and the skin didn't look inflamed/red, so thought it was nothing.

However I've had another look at her today and she has a MASSIVE bald patch that goes up and all around her neck. The feathers look almost as if they have been broken off at the base of the shaft.

I have noticed some tiny white mites crawling around her feathers (feather mites?) so have dusted her and the other chickens with DE.

Any ideas on the cause of the bald patch? Also do you have any suggestions for anything stronger other than DE? I dust them with this regularly and yet there are still mites, so I need to try something else. I've heard that you can use Frontline - which type/dosage? (I'm in the UK)

Thanks in advance!

I'd noticed that Betty had some scruffy feathers around her neck for a few weeks, but had a look and the skin didn't look inflamed/red, so thought it was nothing.

However I've had another look at her today and she has a MASSIVE bald patch that goes up and all around her neck. The feathers look almost as if they have been broken off at the base of the shaft.

I have noticed some tiny white mites crawling around her feathers (feather mites?) so have dusted her and the other chickens with DE.

Any ideas on the cause of the bald patch? Also do you have any suggestions for anything stronger other than DE? I dust them with this regularly and yet there are still mites, so I need to try something else. I've heard that you can use Frontline - which type/dosage? (I'm in the UK)

Thanks in advance!

Hi there, welcome!
smile.png
Chickens will pull their feathers out if the bugs are really bothering them. Try this website, it should have what you need: www.spcentre.com This company is based in UK and offers 'complete parasite control'. Hope it works for you.......

You would want to treat them with poultry dust (U.S. is sold as Sevin or marketed as "Poultry Dust") - you can usually find it at your local feed store. The merckvetmanual link gives a break down of some of the different mites/lice and methods of treatment. I'm not sure what is available in the UK but there should be something in the list(s) that you should be able to find locally or online such as Amazon, etc.
Hope this helps.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/ectoparasites/mites_of_poultry.html#v3343282

Thanks Boskelli. That link doesn't seem to work?

I can find this: http://www.petmeds.co.uk/Beaphar-An...bG5YYpmQIQ4dTn8iqoyCBH2g1bmcGN5wigBoC1N7w_wcB

It's an ivermectin for pet birds, but i'm assuming you could use it on chickens too?

Hmmm.. I got the link from Practical Poultry. Actually - now that I look closely, they have another link: www.sprcentre. com. This one works I tried it! Can't help with the Ivermectin. It's use in poultry is actually 'off label', so your vet should recommend a dose. Good luck!
smile.png

If it is mites or any type of worm/etc then just put some diatomaceous earth inside their food, it is a natural powder which will shread the mites/worms/etc into bits so that your chickens are safe, if they are feather mites then put it on their feathers and wait, soon your chickens will be mite free
big_smile.png
! i hope my advice helps you, diatomaceous earth can be from probably £1-2.

Thanks in advance!

If it is mites or any type of worm/etc then just put some diatomaceous earth inside their food, it is a natural powder which will shread the mites/worms/etc into bits so that your chickens are safe, if they are feather mites then put it on their feathers and wait, soon your chickens will be mite free
big_smile.png
! i hope my advice helps you, diatomaceous earth can be from probably £1-2.

OP is already using DE without success and is asking for advice for an effective treatment to get the lice/mites under control now. While she is waiting on DE to work, the little buggers are laying and eggs and hatching out more. Even with Poultry Dust she may have to make more that one application.

She could also be going through a neck molt, I don't see any obvious problems, is she growing in New feathers.

Back
Top Bottom