What could have killed my Guinea's?

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
They don't go in the coop at night and usually roost in the trees. This morning I found only a head, a beak and tons of feathers. Something got 2 of them. 1 survived without any injuries so I'm assuming she was in a tree. What could have gotten them? What leaves only the heads and feathers? I know I've seen the answer here but can't find it now. I do know we have foxes, raccoon's, hawks and buzzards. We live on 50 acres with some wooded areas. I'm not sure if it happened during dark hours or if early this morning. Whatever it was will probably come back for the other one right? I plan to put her in the coop and run with the chickens. Thanks for any help identifying whatever it was.

Update: I just noticed there is some intestine left also. I guess it was intestine? It had undigested cracked corn and feed in it. Also, everything was found within a few feet from their favorite cedar tree that they usually hang out under. So, whatever it was, the predator didn't carry it off to eat it. It seems to have just killed it and ate it right there.

Last edited:
Anyone?

I just put the only one left in a run with the chickens. Poor thing is so lost without them. She is out there yelling "come back, come back"
hit.gif

If I had to guess I'd say raccoon. Raccoon can climb like monkeys, so a tree is no barrier. Maybe the one was in a different tree from the two you lost. Hawks only hunt during the days here. I would think a large owl would carry it's prey off intact. Since you found remains (parts), something hung around to eat right there on the spot, rather than immediately carrying away the body...
I've read a lot about the heads being eaten away, but I can't remember reading about the head being left...

Back
Top Bottom