What could have killed our beloved chicken????

ldraeger

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 19, 2012
Our beloved chicken was killed and we can't determine by what type predator. Tons of her feathers were found in our yard and her carcass was just across the street in the neighbors yard with more strewn feathers. When I retrieved her she was on her side still with full feathers but when I picked her up I found the other side of her (and her chest & belly) were completely bare of any feathers. She had a couple puncture wounds, very little blood and still warm. This was about 4 or 5 PM and nobody heard or saw anything. I'm sure her attacker must have been scared off but but it seems so odd the side with no feathers was so completely bare. Does anyone have a clue as to what the predator could be?

So sorry for your loss but I totally agree with Diana about the risks of free ranging. We have
way too many potential preds around where we live and have our chickens - including our own
dogs as potential culprits.

Pasturing our flock would be our first choice BUT after much research, speaking to other
flock owners and reading the horror stories on here and other sites about free range atrocities
we elected to build a large pred proof house with several separate rooms and a huge totally
secured and covered run for our large flock of 70 plus birds.

In addition to their premium diet of layer pellets with pre and probiotics they also get supplement of gamebird scratch,
black oil sunflower seeds, fresh fruit, garden greens, weeds, flowers, grasses, etc. from our
property daily.

We have never lost a bird in the three years we have been keeping them and all seem very happy
and produce large amounts of eggs and many happy hours of 'chicken TV' in the safety and
security of their home where they can feel the sunshine, see outside but stay pred free.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom