What could have ripped up chain link fence like this?

251r.jpg

If You take this picture and save it to your pictures then double click on the maginifyer to where I put the yellow circle, you will see who the culprit was:
it was some sort of badger/weasel type animal, the long foreclaw marks are a dead givaway.
there is only one print and it was very hard to find. but thankfully we have maginfiers on our computers.

I say dog. A weasel or raccon is not likely to pop out during the day to do that.

I have chain link run, they are not safe from weasel. I have seen that first hand, they squeeze right through the opeing. You haev to shut them away at night.

Chirpy wrote:I don't know about the metal hose clamps, they sound good but I've never seen them in use for this particular situation.

Placing the hose clamps, two together, pairs about 10" apart, is particularly good for dogs (getting in or out). We `inherited' a chain link dog pen from a renter who took off. He had hounds, and had attached 2"x4" welded wire panels to the frame with the hose clamps as well. I ended up taking the bolt cutters to the clamps (only need so many...). That was one tough pen.

I was only addressing the security of the chain link. You're dead on with your recommendations.​

Quote:
I have to magnify it yet, but yes, it could be badger! Your post made me remember that just a few months ago a neighbor about a mile away told me a badger was in her yard and her dogs were barking at it. Would badgers attack during the day? I am so glad you posted this- I am off to research badgers and see what kind of threats they pose. For instance, I'm wondering how well any of these climb (badger, racoon, etc.) and if they would be trying to get up to and in through the coop windows (which I will be putting 1/4" hardware cloth over both inside and outside). Given what was done to this chain link a few years ago I know I have to double up on everything. And I worry now that a badger could snag even the 1/4" hardware cloth and just rip it to shreds and/or rip it off the staples/rip the staples out of the wood of the coop.

pop.gif
wow, that's like a scary movie, unfortunately alot of wild predators are turning down a road filled with violence, a road I like to call, Violence Road.

But a solution might be to put chicken wire around the inner perimeter of the kennel. Bury it deep, almost a foot under ground and run it as tall as your chickens are. That's what we've done in our poultry kennel, works amazing.....well, we haven't had predator problems.

bun.gif

I believe you have a human vandalizing your property. Maybe of the teenage variety, male.

Last edited:
I have seen my dogs do this to their chain link kennels easy. Especially our one German Shepherd. He literally destroyed the whole front panel(door panel) of his kennel. I'm talking top and bottom metal support bar, the chainlink was mangled and unravelled, and those metal clip connector pieces were ripped off.

I vote dog. The holes don't look big, but a determined dog will make an identical hole and push and wriggle until they get in.

I tried to see the paw print, but I couldn't. The picture blurred too much.

-Kim

birdy_num_nums wrote And I worry now that a badger could snag even the 1/4" hardware cloth and just rip it to shreds and/or rip it off the staples/rip the staples out of the wood of the coop.

If you're using the hardware cloth on both in/outsides of window frames half inch hardware cloth should be sufficient (plus better ventilation), but use wood screws with washers to attach the cloth to frame.

Badgers are bad news and do climb, raccoons always climb, both can foray during the daylight hours (coons not so much, but I've retired two perfectly healthy specimens that were on daytime schedules).

If you can't cover the run then, given your predator load, electricity might be the best choice.​

Back
Top Bottom