What could have ripped up chain link fence like this?

I think coons or coyotes are very capable of doing that kind of damage. I've had coons get into chicken pens, coops, they are strong and determined, especially if it's a female with kits. This is the hard part of raising chickens, they are so vulnerable to predators. Skunks are my worst enemy though, they will kill just and not even eat it all. I've had them dig under or through a rock foundation of a log cabin, which was my chicken coop.
I'm sad for your loss.

I don't think it was a human for a few reasons.

The first that comes to mind is, why wouldn't they just use the door? I mean, if I wanted to get into a chainlink fence, forget about prying the chainlink, I'm walking through the door or climbing over.

The second one is, did they pluck the missing chicken before they left? There were feathers floating around, which typically means there was a struggle. Even trying to catch my most stubborn birds, does not result in a feathered mess, one or two feathers at the most!

If the chainlink was locked, or the person was just plain dumb and didn't want to use the door or climb over, they could have just popped those metal clips off and slid the chain link down the pole like a curtain. That sounds weird, but trust me, I just helped fence in a baseball field in 6' chainlink.

Chainlink is not hard for a person to get into, especially if that person had a few simple tools or even stopped to think about it for a second.

I think it was an animal. Personally I vote dog. I just don't see it being a person. If it was a person, they really went the hard way around.. Which, we do have some dumb criminals out there.. (My favorite part of the morning news.. sometimes it's just sad what these people do..)

You have to set up cameras or something. I am very interested to know what this was!

-Kim

Last edited:
Maybe one kind of predator tried to get in there and caused the damage resulting in an opening that another animal later found...let's say it was a dog who tried to get in and couldn't so he gave up, but then later on, a feral cat or weasel or something got in there...just a thought...

Quote:

IT IS POSSIBLE , with MONEY , TIME, Patience , and proper planning . Go back and look at the picture of the fence in POST 1 . Unless this perimeter was dug and wire placed and covered , ANYTHING CAN DIG AND GET IN.

Last edited:
Quote:

IT IS POSSIBLE , with MONEY , TIME, Patience , and proper planning . Go back and look at the picture of the fence in POST 1 . Unless this perimeter was dug and wire placed and covered , ANYTHING CAN DIG AND GET IN.

Actually not really in this instance as the structure was a full cube of the panels: all sides, top, plus bottom. On one area it looked like whatever it was did dig, but gave up and went in via ripping up the fence.
But yes, without dig prevention, this fence, any fence, can just be dug under and it's as if there was no fence at all:(

sad.png
I'm so sorry for your loss... I have no clue. Some smaller animals have amazing strength for their size.

(I can't even hold my goat in one place and he is half my size)
Almost any dog can do that. I had a small stray Beagle do exactly that to a chain link kennel to escape even tho the bottom was fastened to the frame and a full fence panel was laid down in the dirt prior to adding gravel for the floor. Yes these precautions prevented digging out, the chain link wire is soft and they grab with teeth and pull it apart and out or in they go.

Back
Top Bottom