What could it have been???????

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
So this morning as I am walking out to feed the herd. 125 naked necks. I see them all in the middle of the paddock going crazy. As I got closer and they saw me they came running. Let's just say that I am one less bird. All that was left was the wings attached to he back bone. No carcass at all. I am baffled as to what it could have been.

I have seen an owl in the past few weeks here and there but all the birds have seen it as well.

So what would kill the bird and only leave wings and the backbone. Where could the rest of the carcass have gone? Entire paddock is electric netting and the electric was showing full strength as it is running from my house out 200 feet to the eletric netting.

I don't think the owl would have eaten the bird in the pen and left the wings. It seems to me that your bird died of something and your flock ate it. It happens.

Last edited:
So they would have eaten bones and all? Seems odd..

But I walked and checked all tractors and nothing shows any other animals or large areas of feathers. Actually there are not feathers except the wings still attached to the the back bone.

I've had it happen, mine usually just leave the wings. I've always wondered where the leg bones go. But an owl would have carried off the whole bird as would most other predators, well at least those wanting to consume the bird.

Back
Top Bottom