What could this be from?

camershek

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Sand lake, Michigan

I just picked up 4 hens today and this is the back of ones head. We have no idea what it could be from. They all get along great and seem to be friends. My husband said maybe from "doing the deed". He grew up with ducks and says with them the male sometimes grabs the back of the females head.

Last edited:
Someone sold you this hen with such a serious wound to her head? She looks like she was scalped by a young cockerel trying to mate her, and she was not submitting to his advances. She should be okay if she is alert and active now. I would get some Vetericyn, Betadine, or BluKote and apply it to her head daily, until it heals in a month or so. Make sure flies don't get to her neck while it is healing, or apply some antibiotic ointment.

Someone sold you this hen with such a serious wound to her head? She looks like she was scalped by a young cockerel trying to mate her, and she was not submitting to his advances. She should be okay if she is alert and active now. I would get some Vetericyn, Betadine, or BluKote and apply it to her head daily, until it heals in a month or so. Make sure flies don't get to her neck while it is healing, or apply some antibiotic ointment.

I ended up getting ahold of her and asking what happened. She said this hen was the weakest and her flock didn't accept the 4 I bought from her and this poor girl took the brunt of it :( I'm getting her an isolation coop set up today so she can heal in peace without everyone going after her.

I ended up getting ahold of her and asking what happened. She said this hen was the weakest and her flock didn't accept the 4 I bought from her and this poor girl took the brunt of it
sad.png
I'm getting her an isolation coop set up today so she can heal in peace without everyone going after her.

Poor girl.

Treat her wounds as instructed by @Eggcessive - great advice as always.

If she came with the 4 you bought, instead of completely isolating her away from the others, if you can set up a kennel in the run or section a portion of the run that would be best. This way she is "separated" so the others can't peck at her, but she is still somewhat viewed as part of the flock. Isolating her completely will give you more problems when you try to reintegrate her back with the others. At night, depending on the size of your coop, you can place her in a small pet carrier or wait until dark and place her inside for a couple of weeks, then you will need to "separate" her during the day so she heals. Sleeping with or near the others will reinforce the idea that she is part of the flock, so hopefully you have no drama to deal with.

Just my thoughts
smile.png

Poor girl.

Treat her wounds as instructed by @Eggcessive
- great advice as always.

If she came with the 4 you bought, instead of completely isolating her away from the others, if you can set up a kennel in the run or section a portion of the run that would be best. This way she is "separated" so the others can't peck at her, but she is still somewhat viewed as part of the flock. Isolating her completely will give you more problems when you try to reintegrate her back with the others. At night, depending on the size of your coop, you can place her in a small pet carrier or wait until dark and place her inside for a couple of weeks, then you will need to "separate" her during the day so she heals.  Sleeping with or near the others will reinforce the idea that she is part of the flock, so hopefully you have no drama to deal with.

Just my thoughts:)

X 2. I use a dog crate or cage, or temporary fencing, inside the coop with others. That way they can still see each other, and remain familiar with her.

Back
Top Bottom