What could this be on this egg? (not graphic)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchknmama, Aug 17, 2011.

1. newchknmama

newchknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Middleton ID
    I have been getting some weird eggs lately and now I am thinking I had my chickens and who was laying the good and who was laying the weird eggs mixed up.
    Right after my lt brahma laid todays egg we went and got it out, it was oddly shaped, like it had a big dimple on the side. I wasnt able to get a good picture, but on the end of the egg there was this.
    [​IMG]
    the stringy part is hard like the shell and the spot almost looks like blood. I suppose it could be poo, but not too sure on that. Would you expert chicken keepers eat an egg that looks like this?
    The whole egg is hard, not soft.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I've had stuff like that. It's usually my JG who puts dots on the ends of her eggs. I think it's just a little extra calcium deposit. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I'm sure others w/ more experience and more than my three hens will also chime in.

4. Kountreefok

Kountreefok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Graceton, MN
    Quote:[​IMG] x2
    Good "trouble-shooting" tips on that link, too.

5. F106A

F106A Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Texas Big Country
    I'm not 100% on this one, but I suspect it also is a deposit type substance on this egg. Definitely a coating of some type -- not a discoloration -- as I can run my fingernail over the white spots and feel they are raised, albeit very thin. Today was my first four-egg day, and I haven't seen any like this yet. That makes me think it's from a first time layer. It does look pretty cool!

[​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm thinking the same thing, extra calcium.

Sometimes new layers take a little time to work out the details of egglaying.

I like the odder eggs. I'd want her to not work it out. That's a pretty cool looking egg.

Imp

7. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    Quote:Ditto!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by