What could this be?

Ashley S

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2017
IMG_5481.PNG
Sorry I've been posting on here quite a bit lately. New chicken owner here :p I'm wondering what this could be and what would be causing it. After some research I came to the conclusion it could be wry neck. She tucks her head down like this and shakes it back and forth while she backs up. Before, these "episodes" were lasting a very long time, there were a couple days where she wasn't even walking around, eating, drinking or peeping. I had to force her to eat (made a concoction of plain yogurt, mashed up feed, nutri-drench and a little bit of water with probiotics and electrolytes) after 2 days she perked up and has been doing great! So great that during the day she's been with the rest of the chicks with almost no episodes. But at night almost as soon as the lights go off she starts having these episodes and it goes on until she finally falls asleep. Could she still just be recovering or is this something completely different from wry neck?

That does seem like wry neck which can include symptoms, such as a neck twisted up, down, or to the side, or walking backward or in circles. Wry neck is a neurological symptom, which can be due to a head injury, vitamin B1 (thiamine) or E deficiency, or from some diseases such as Mareks, leukosis, or respiratory diseases that affect the brain in later stages. Wrapping her in a towel to feed the wet mash as you are doing is perfect. Make sure that her food and water are within her reach, and make sure that others do not hurt her.

Is it something that will eventually go away? She's eating and drinking great! When she's with the others during the day she does really well. I bring all of them in at night since they aren't all fully feathered and it gets chilly. Tonight was the first night in about a week that I was going to let her stay in the same brooder as the other chicks but when I went to check on them all the chicks were on one side, asleep, and she was going in circles having on of these episodes so I took her out and she's back in a separate brooder. Would the other chicks be able to sense if there is something wrong with her already? They're 6 weeks old.

It may go away or not depending on the cause. Heredity can be another cause. It may last days or weeks, and some never get over it. Hopefully, it is not a symptom of a disease. I would give it at least 2 weeks of vitamins and help feeding and watering if possible, to see if there is improvement or if other symptoms are seen. Let us know how she gets along. You may want to Google "crook neck in chickens" or "wry neck in chickens" for more info.

Thank you so much! I'll keep giving her vitamins. Should I continue to separate her from the others at night?

Happy to report she’s much better! She’s with the rest in the coop now and doing great.
753B42AD-2DED-4081-89FE-D7A93FD76271.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom