What counts as snacks?

I count ANYTHING that is not their usual chicken feed as a snack, and aim for 10% or less of their food being a snack. Their feed, wetted into a mash, is their favorite snack; that doesn't count.

That being said, some snacks are better for them than others, just like treats for people can be. What you have listed sound like good, healthy snacks for chickens. I wouldn't hesitate to give them any of those.

Contrary to what I said above, there are times when some of the snacks you listed will be very beneficial. For instance, when it's really hot, watermelon is great for keeping them hydrated and cool. On a really hot day, I put out watermelon slices, or melon, and let them peck all they want. They may have messy poop from this, btw.

Fish (without salt, as you said :) ) is a good source of protein. When they're molting, the extra protein can help with growing new feathers. So can a higher protein feed, like All Flock or Grower/starter formulations.

Greens and vegetables can be great as boredom busters too; they can play with their food and be entertained.

The 10% amount is to keep chickens from missing key nutrients that are in the commercial feed, but not easy to come by with treats, like some specific amino acids.

I count ANYTHING that is not their usual chicken feed as a snack, and aim for 10% or less of their food being a snack. Their feed, wetted into a mash, is their favorite snack; that doesn't count.

That being said, some snacks are better for them than others, just like treats for people can be. What you have listed sound like good, healthy snacks for chickens. I wouldn't hesitate to give them any of those.

Contrary to what I said above, there are times when some of the snacks you listed will be very beneficial. For instance, when it's really hot, watermelon is great for keeping them hydrated and cool. On a really hot day, I put out watermelon slices, or melon, and let them peck all they want. They may have messy poop from this, btw.

Fish (without salt, as you said :) ) is a good source of protein. When they're molting, the extra protein can help with growing new feathers. So can a higher protein feed, like All Flock or Grower/starter formulations.

Greens and vegetables can be great as boredom busters too; they can play with their food and be entertained.

The 10% amount is to keep chickens from missing key nutrients that are in the commercial feed, but not easy to come by with treats, like some specific amino acids.
Agreed!

If its not a complete feed, its a snack/treat.

Doesn't matter if its "heathy" or not. Its incomplete, and a risk of dietary imbalance. Corn is found in many chicken feeds. On its own, its treat (and I don't recommend). Same with BOSS (better, still not big on the idea of "treats"). Dried mealworms or BSFL? Also treats. The fenugreek sprouting on my chicken tower? Treat. Scrambled egg? (at least this is a complete protein) Still a treat. Watermelon (useful electrolyte support on hot days) and still a treat. Frozen peas (found in some commercial feeds) Treat.

You get the point. Its about the balance.

None (or all, in some combination) should exceed 10% of the daily ration, by weight, per bird. If you don't want to weigh it? LEVEL tablespoon. If you choose to treat, I recommend you rotate treats, so you aren't frequently offering the same dietary imbalance to your flock.

Some of these are offered as a short term suppliment to adress temporary issues - if you know what you are doing, fine - but still a treat. Take 9 parts commercial feed at 18% protein, 3.5% fiber, 3.5% fat and offer 1 part sunflower seed, your mix is now 17.8% protein, 4.9% fiber (that's high), and 8% fat!!!! (based on dietary nutrition averages found at Feedipedia.org). Treats tend to be concentrated sources of "something" - very little of it can make a huge change in the flock's diet, as the sunflower seed example illustrates.

If the suppliment is a long term plan? Change feeds.

Do things like micro-greens, tomatoes, melon, pure baked salmon with nothing on it, sardines in water (no salt added) watermelon...do those all count as "treats" or "snacks" or are they a healthy add-on?
Well, that depends.....:D
I'm going to assume, do put me right if I'm wrong, that the reason you ask is you've read or been told that "treats and snacks" should only be given at such and such percentage of the chickens daily diet.
Now it sounds to me that you've put a bit of thought into what you give your chickens. "Sardines with no salt added" for example, or "pure baked salmon with nothing on it" for another example.
Of course some people will tell you you need to feed a complete feed. The thing is, Sardines and Salmon will provide all the amino acids required to make a complete protein and what's more, they do it with extra amino acids, minerals and vitamines that the dried pellet chicken feed doesn't supply.
Micro greens, excellent for chickens. In fact everything you have listed are in the right proportions excellent for chickens, so much so that with a few grain additions your chickens would be getting a better balanced diet than any of the commercially produced feeds I've seen on the market.
What I do is I give chickens commercial feed in the morning and in the evening I give some commercial feed and all those things you mention, but not usually all at once.
In Spain where I was, I suppose about 40% of the chickens diet was either from the treat foods you mention, or from free range foraging.
To help the Ex Batts towards health now here in the UK I do much the same but the proportion of so called treat foods in much less, about 20% of their total food intake.
The simple truth is, there is no fixed amount of treat foods you should feed your chickens. Much like humans what chickens need most and like best is a varied and balanced diet. Bucket fulls of high fat mealy worms, or large handfulls of cracked corn, or any of the junk food we humans are so fond of eating should probably not be fed to chickens at all, never mind just at some arbitary percentage.
If you were to feed your chickens 30% of the foods you mentioned and any others of similar quality you shouldn't go far wrong.
But, I think you probably know this.:love

@Shadrach complete proteins like fish aren't comparable to microgreens, watermelon, tomatoes, etc.

You keep coming back to "balanced" and "in the right proportion".

I happen to agree, it why I focused on imbalance. I worry, however, that someone mught read your post and take the wrong idea from it, focused on "healthy", not "balanced".

The fact is, most backyard keepers don't research much about their chicken feed, its unlikely they will do the legwork of researching (and measuring) their treats. The 10% thumb rule exists not because its always right, but rather because its generally effective at keeping the less well informed from F'ing things up too badly.

In this case, I believe you've made the perfect the enemy of the good.

and excess protein isn't always good, either. For a host of well studied reasons, from excess nitrogen (and associated ammonia) in the droppings, to higher incidence of angel wings in ducks, to similar musculature and skeletal deformities in fast growth chickens like the CX (who are generally culled for table before those effects become too evident). Thankfully, the mercury content in farmed salmon is relatively low. Not generally a concern for your birds.

@Shadrach complete proteins like fish aren't comparable to microgreens, watermelon, tomatoes, etc.

You keep coming back to "balanced" and "in the right proportion".

I happen to agree, it why I focused on imbalance. I worry, however, that someone mught read your post and take the wrong idea from it, focused on "healthy", not "balanced".

The fact is, most backyard keepers don't research much about their chicken feed, its unlikely they will do the legwork of researching (and measuring) their treats. The 10% thumb rule exists not because its always right, but rather because its generally effective at keeping the less well informed from F'ing things up too badly.

In this case, I believe you've made the perfect the enemy of the good.

and excess protein isn't always good, either. For a host of well studied reasons, from excess nitrogen (and associated ammonia) in the droppings, to higher incidence of angel wings in ducks, to similar musculature and skeletal deformities in fast growth chickens like the CX (who are generally culled for table before those effects become too evident). Thankfully, the mercury content in farmed salmon is relatively low. Not generally a concern for your birds.
Hmm, I have on the OP's post content made some assumptions I'll grant you.
It's this bit right at the end of their post that makes me think they've put some thought into the matter.
"or are they a healthy add-on?"
There is nothing I could pick up on in their post that suggests they are likely to ditch all the commercial feed and start feeding their chickens on just microgreens and watermelon.
Would you be less concerned if I just wrote, yes the foodstuffs you mentionn are fine as a healthy add on and do the OP the courtesy of believing they are an intelligent being.?

wow this was such a thoughtful and helpful answer. I really appreciate the time and help!

This is a special treat plate. Sunflower seeds, sprouts and apples. They love a plate like this anytime!

Attachments

• D8A2A31A-6D19-4121-B5D6-A491BA2A77FD.jpeg
    D8A2A31A-6D19-4121-B5D6-A491BA2A77FD.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 3
If you do a forum search on this subject you'll find several other long threads, in case you're in the reading mood. You've listed exceptionally good foods for chickens, the only thing I advise against is thinking this will reduce the regular Chicken feed amount and bill associated. I have a friend that rounds up all human scraps, even asks for restaurant waste and thinks that's a good thing. It is if you have pigs. For chickens it's just going to cause problems. I know this from the 2 times in 20years that I made a dramatic diet changes such as over-supplementing and reducing the Chicken feed or trying to make my own. I just don't mess with it anymore. Chicken feed is main diet, these wonderful treats are treats.

Back
Top Bottom