What cross breeds do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by debakadeb, Jun 7, 2008.

1. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I have three black sexlinks. I noticed that they are getting a lot of dark green feathers towards their tail. This doesn't show up in a picture. What breeds have those dark green feathers?
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    from feathersite

Both Red and Black Sex-Links use a red male for the father. Either a Rhode Island Red or a New Hampshire may be used.

Black Sex-Links are produced using a Barred Rock as the mother. Both sexes hatch out black, but the males have a white dot on their heads. Pullets feather out black with some red in neck feathers. Males feather out with the Barred Rock pattern along with a few red feathers. Black Sex-Links are often referred to as Rock Reds.

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I'm not sure which breeds were used in my black sex-link pullets, but they are getting some blue-green-black feathers too. I think they will be very pretty when they get full grown. Mine are only about 6 weeks old.

I just looked mine up...they came from Cackle Hatchery. They said they use a Rhode Island Red roo and a Barred Rock hen. Maybe that pretty blue-green-black color comes from the RIR's tail!!!
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    pretty much any blacks will have a green looking tail (in sunlight.. ) its the oil and stuff.. I could be completely off of what your talking about though..
  5. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Black sex links are always a cross between a Rhode Island Red, or New Hampshire Red roo and a Barred Rock Hen. Just as Miss Prissy posted. Blacks always have a green sheen to their tails, atleast the pretty ones.
  6. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Thank you, everyone! I actually was beginning to think maybe my sex link was a sex link crossed with another breed. Yes, it is the sun that is making it have a green sheen to it. In all my research on sex links, I had not seen that and of course, it doesn't show in pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by