What Cross is this ?

rotagen

Chirping
Dec 17, 2019
This is a pic of our unique hen Wishbone. I hatched her from a local lady's barnyard mix...I'm not sure she even knows what breeds she has, lots of chickens coming and going. I wonder if anyone has an idea?

She's definitely smaller than most, I'd say little more than half to 2/3 the size of our RIR hens. Note the black comb. Quite shy but warming up to us.

Attachments

• wishbone.jpg
    wishbone.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 126
This is a pic of our unique hen Wishbone. I hatched her from a local lady's barnyard mix...I'm not sure she even knows what breeds she has, lots of chickens coming and going. I wonder if anyone has an idea?

She's definitely smaller than most, I'd say little more than half to 2/3 the size of our RIR hens. Note the black comb. Quite shy but warming up to us.
No way to tell.

Perhaps an Ayam Cemani cross.

No way to tell without a lot more information. With the limited information given I am guessing one parent is a Silkie, Ayam Cemani, or some other melanistic bird.

No feathers on feet.

Thanks for the replies, the lady I got the eggs from did have some silkies but they looked to be all white ones. I thought the silkie feather thing was dominant, but I guess if a parent was a hybrid already it could produce a normal feathered chick. Also she loses many to predation, at the same time adopting many freebie chickens and hatching new ones like crazy... a very interesting farm/operation. She also has some black polish and some white ones.

This hen lays cream colored eggs I believe, and quite a few of them. If you go near her when she's laying she will raise bloody hell. One of my faverolles stared at her freaking out... with a hilarious look like "wow.... have a cow".

Looking at cemani and sumatra chickens I see that their feathers are much looser than hers, not sure if there's a black combed breed with tight feathers. I figure one parent probably had silver lacing? Some Wyandottes do have it.

Anyways, Wishbone Ash here looked so unique I had to put her in the "safe" pen with the older faverolles and reds. My roo there is also from the local lady, most probably a black sex link... it has plymouth rock markings with some individual feathers coming in almost fluorescent bright red. It's the size of a horse and very friendly. She did have a RIR roo in there.

Back
Top Bottom