What degree do you start heating coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gjoyner, Dec 4, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

how cold should it be before you turn on the heat lamp? I have an 80 watt flood light in there...but last night before I went to bed it was only 12 degrees in there WITH the light on.

When should I turn the light on and should I get a higher wattage? I only have three chickens and a small play house off the ground kind of coop.

2. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

How old are your chickens?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

For fully feathered chickens I don't provide any heat. It was 10 degrees here this morning and will get colder before winter's over. As long as they are dry and have shelter from the wind they should be fine.

4. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

I heard that if you supply heat (like with a light) and your power goes out you could lose your whole flock because their not use to the cold. however if you only have a few number of birds I'm not sure and I sure it depends on how much space they have also. That's what I'm trying to figure out, how many birds does it take to keep warm in 90 sq feet?

5. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens are fully feathered and just started laying two months ago maybe. This morning the glass on their window was all frosted up even with the 80 watt red light on. I have an ameracauna, a rhode island red, and a blue andelusian.

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually their body heat keeps them warm, especially when they are all huddled on the roost together, I have alot more chickens though to heat the coop with their body heat.
    Maybe you need more chickens.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by