What deodorizer to use with chicks inside MY house?

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
I searched and just got confused sooo I finally moved my 5 day old chicks into my house because of excessive heat here in deep east Texas. I have a light bulb on them and a good thermometer to keep it in check. Now, what is the best product to keep the little brooder smelling fresh. Or what other techniques should I know about? I have them in a very large fiberglass dog carrying box with lots of vents and 3 inches of pine wood chips on the floor.

I use this in my coop too.

Attachments

• 5065990.jpeg
    5065990.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 4
It's safe for chickens. However, I know that a brooder get stinky quick. I would put my chicks in the kitchen and dump my brooder in my big trash can. Refill with pine chips and put the girls back in. Then clean the kitchen floor. Lol. They are just a mess inside. But I like them in the house.

I've kept chicks inside because of outdoors being too cold. I kept about 10 chicks in a gigantic cardboard box with several layers of newspaper on the bottom, then changed out whatever top sheets needed to be taken out almost every day. The poopy newspaper can go straight into the compost/buried in planter. It's great fertilizer. I did not have a problem with the smell because I was taking out the poop so often.

In the summer I've let my chicks outside, as long as they are somewhere where there is shade available. When it's 95-105F out, I feel silly having a heat source on anywhere :). Sometimes I would just put their box outside with a wire cover, sometimes I'd move them to a wire cage and then put them back in their heated box for the night. It's good to get them used to being handled anyway.

When I brood I change the litter everyday or every other day and I can still smell them. I have good nose - unfortunately. Then there’s the chick dust. 🤬

every time I brood I say it’s my last time... then it’s not. BUT! I just had a broody hatch and now I’m a convert forever!!!!!! No more chicks in the house!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom