What determines egg color with ee mixes???

Jimmiaandboys

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
Bennington County, VT
I'm wondering about the genetics that dictate egg color. I have several ee's and ee mixes (mixes are from buff orp./ mix roo) How likely is it that the mixed pullets will lay blue or green eggs? They all hatched from blue or green eggs but what or how will the Buff orp mix roo influence the offspring's eggshell color?
I apologize if this is too obvious or if it's already on here-I may have used wrong wording when I searched.
hu.gif
:idunno
Thanks for any help!
Mia

I think from what I've read is that the egg shell color goes on in layers...so if you have a blue egg and brown egg you would get a mix of the two? LOL...not sure that is right, just think that's what I've heard.

There are MANY genes that determine eggshell colour; most are inherited equally from each parent. Of course there is no way to determine exactly which egg colour genes are present in a rooster, lol. If a chicken has at least one copy of the O gene, the eggshells will be blue.

Last edited:
Hi!
I saved this bit of info posted here earlier:
Blue Egg Genetics

The gene for blue eggs O is dominant, birds that have either O/O or O/o+ will have the gene.

This gene is located extremely close to the pea comb gene P, again a dominant so either P/P or P/r+ will be pea combed.

These genes are nearly always inherited together. So any pea combed pullets are very likely to lay blue/green based eggs.

Green to Khaki eggs are blue eggs with a surface coating of brown pigment.

Daughters of:

A blue egg O/O male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay paler blue eggs.

A blue egg O/O male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay green eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a white egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some blue eggs and some white eggs.

A blue egg O/o+ male mated to a brown egg female o+/o+ could be expected to lay some green/khaki eggs and some brown eggs.

I don't recall who posted it or I'd give them credit.
smile.png

Lisa

Thanks, that is informative!
smile.png

In our case we have ameracauna and ee mix pullets/hens (blue and green) and the roo is of a brown egg laying buff orp. hen. I'll have to pay close attention to the combs.

Back
Top Bottom