What did I actually get? gender?

Saerasx

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Beaverton, OR
This little dear was sold to me as a cuckoo marans pullet. I had pre ordered and the day I come in I find out that she had mixed barred rocks australorps and the marans all together. I trust she could tell the difference but I'd like to be sure. Any ideas?

Hmmm thanks for the reference. I wasn't questioning her at all until someone mentioned she could actually be a barred rock, now I'm questioning her gender too :/ I'll try to get some better pics if I can- but any other guesses?

Last edited:
Hmmm thanks for the reference. I wasn't questioning her at all until someone mentioned she could actually be a barred rock, now I'm questioning her gender too :/ I'll try to get some better pics if I can- but any other guesses?

I went and looked at McMurray Hatchery and I do think yours do look like the cuckoo maran, take a look! http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/cuckoo_maran.html

Last edited:
At this age cuckoo Marans and barred Rocks are virtually identical. Marans should have light pink/white legs, Rocks should have yellow. That's pretty much the only difference this young.

I looked at both videos on murray, and its REALLY hard to tell...breed and gender. I'll have to get a pick because this chick has black on her legs too. So Im not quite sure what to make of it, the legs are dark and the feet are light, not quite yellow. Also it seems this chicks wings are more pointy? would that indicate roo?

Last edited:
@donrae do all cuckoo marans chicks have feathered legs? Or is it just some that do? Ive been trying to do more thorough research and it seems that they can have both.

@donrae do all cuckoo marans chicks have feathered legs? Or is it just some that do? Ive been trying to do more thorough research and it seems that they can have both.
Most hatchery cuckoos are clean legged. Ideal (I think) has started offering feather legged cuckoos along with clean legged...not sure if other hatcheries have them or not. Some breeders are getting nice feather legged cuckoos.

Back
Top Bottom