What did I do wrong? Bad hatch rates

I had 14 eggs. 2 got crushed early on. Another One started to smell and another one was definitely infertile. It’s contents sloshed from end to end. That left 10. I candled at week one and again during week 2. I videoed and asked for help identifying quitters. There were 3 that were considered to definitely be dead. Everyone was very consoling and helpful showing me how to identify signs of their death. I decided I was going to leave those 3 in place. I still don’t know why I decided that. It was my first time hatching! Well! Surprise surprise surprise!!! All three “dead” eggs hatched! One other egg died in the shell. I have 9 chicks that are now coming into 14 weeks old. 5 cockerels, 4 pullets.
My point is that maybe you gave up on eggs too soon.
Btw my chickens were broody-hatched. A couple of times I found an egg outside the clutch area an wondered if mama knew something. It was not always the same egg. I put it back. They also hatched.
Exactly. Like I said earlier, I never remove eggs unless they leak or stink. I've had plenty of surprises that made me keep them in. And in my mind, there is no reason to take any eggs out unless they are about to explode (stinkers) or sticking to the turner or egg rack (leakers).

Were it was located was right next to a window, and right in front of our drier if that would cause any problems
Hi, Weeg. First, a disclaimer: I don't hatch. Having said that, however, I'm an old grandma that's done thousands of loads of laundry and I do feel qualified to tell you that what is important about real estate is probably also important in incubating: location, location, location! Having your incubator located next to a window and in front of a drier may have been at least partly responsible for your dismal hatch rates, if not entirely so. The window could have been randomly chilling the room, especially at night and early mornings, and the dryer could have been affecting both the heat and the humidity in the room. As another poster pointed out, the thin plastic of the incubator would have made it very vulnerable to these changes.

You've indicated you'll find a more stable environment to hatch in, and I can't wait to hear what the results will be, once you find a more suitable location for your incubator! Best of luck to you!

Hi, Weeg. First, a disclaimer: I don't hatch. Having said that, however, I'm an old grandma that's done thousands of loads of laundry and I do feel qualified to tell you that what is important about real estate is probably also important in incubating: location, location, location! Having your incubator located next to a window and in front of a drier may have been at least partly responsible for your dismal hatch rates, if not entirely so. The window could have been randomly chilling the room, especially at night and early mornings, and the dryer could have been affecting both the heat and the humidity in the room. As another poster pointed out, the thin plastic of the incubator would have made it very vulnerable to these changes.

You've indicated you'll find a more stable environment to hatch in, and I can't wait to hear what the results will be, once you find a more suitable location for your incubator! Best of luck to you!
Thank you! I figured locations had to be my issue. It worked fine at a friends house, so her location must have been better. I'll definitely find a more stable environment to hatch in. Can't wait try again and see if I get better hatch rates!

Back
Top Bottom