What did I do wrong? Bad hatch rates

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys!
This was my first incubation this Spring, and was overall a really fun experience! My first batch of eggs were 6 shipped Cochin bantam eggs. I was hoping for 3 chicks in the end. I had one infertile egg in the beginning, but having an extra I still had the 6 eggs. I had another quitter on day 10 I believe, and then the other 5 had strong veins and lots of movement for the rest of incubation. A specific egg, which we called Speckles, we really hoped would hatch had the strongest veins, and so much movement. On day 17, we tossed 2 more eggs and put 3 eggs into lockdown, 2 cream eggs and Speckles. I removed the turner, and raised the humidity to 65-70%. On day 19, one egg hatched. On day 21 both of the other eggs who had stung veins and movement before lockdown, were both dead. No veins, the black mass was deteriorated, and they glowed yellow.
I had a calibrated thermometer and humidity gauge in the incubator the whole time, I candled almost daily, and kept temp at 99.5 in a circulated are incubator, and humidity at 48%. I used a Little Giant incubator.

Then, I had another batch of 12 shipped EE and Dark Brahama bantam hatching eggs. I got them when the Cochin eggs were on day 7, so they were a week apart. I lost the two extra eggs from being cracked upon arrival, and tossed 2 infertile eggs on day 6. I lost another 4 eggs on day 9 or 10 I believe. When the Cochin eggs went into lockdown, I moved this batch of now 6 eggs into another incubator to maintain proper humidity. I didn't have an extra humidity gauge in the second bator, but I had figured out how to keep it stable. The day after moving the eggs, I had to toss another 4 I was sure were dead. I didn't candle before I moved the eggs, so I dont know if it was the second bator or not. Then, the surviving two eggs seemed strong. I moved them back after Early bird hatched, and today i candled the remaining egg and I'm again afraid its dead.
So Cochin bantam eggs- 1/6
EE Dark brahama bantams- 0/12
Ideas???

I know Cochin eggs are fairly easy to candle but my eggs are dark and I never remove any unless they leak or stink.
With shipped eggs, what you can't control is how long they were stored or how long it took in the mail. You also can't control health of the breeders or breeder nutrition.
I always boost breeder nutrition a couple weeks before collecting for incubation.

I know Cochin eggs are fairly easy to candle but my eggs are dark and I never remove any unless they leak or stink.
With shipped eggs, what you can't control is how long they were stored or how long it took in the mail. You also can't control health of the breeders or breeder nutrition.
I always boost breeder nutrition a couple weeks before collecting for incubation.
I removed mine after a few days of no movement, no blood vessels, and no signs of life. I usually leave eggs in for a few days after I got concerned though.

Aww, I'm sorry. I just had a rough hatch on shipped eggs too. It was pretty sad. I got quitter after quitter. I'm pretty positive that it was the PO, the eggs were all intact but the air cells were not good. They may have gotten left by a hot vent, or in a cold mail truck, I just don't know. My calibrated incubator held like a champ the whole time. It just happens. There isn't really anything that you can do, unfortunately.
Are you POSITIVE that your thermometer was perfectly accurate? I like to keep 3 or 4 calibrated thermometers and 2 salt tested hygrometers in my incubator at all times. Did you check for hot/cold spots as well? Those can be a real killer sometimes.

I know how disappointing it must be, but like @ChickenCanoe said, shipped eggs can really be problematic. 😕

That said, while shipping is tough on eggs, I had an LG 9300 as a hatcher and it was terrible: wild, inexplicable temperature swings drove me batty. Have you considered the incubator as a potential contributor?
I have. I too have noticed the temperature swings. I never loved the incubator from the start and really wanted the NR360, but didn't inform the gifter before she purchased, and I thought I should try it before returning.
I am currently trying to sell it and get the NR360 before my next hatch. I don't want to hatch with the LG again, I don't trust it. Thank you summing up my concerns, I'm not sure if the incubator was the only issue though, so will try to see if there is anything else I'm doing wrong.
Thank you so much!

It was pretty sad. I got quitter after quitter. I'm pretty positive that it was the PO, the eggs were all intact but the air cells were not good.
My exact situation with the EE/Dark Brahama eggs. I am definitly blaming the PO, all the eggs I got shipped had damaged air cells no matter the way they were packaged. PO is so rough on eggs.
The next eggs I'm getting I am picking up local. I would have done my business local from the start, but I must not have seen this listing before for some reason.

Are you POSITIVE that your thermometer was perfectly accurate? I like to keep 3 or 4 calibrated thermometers and 2 salt tested hygrometers in my incubator at all times. Did you check for hot/cold spots as well? Those can be a real killer sometimes.
I did calibrate it, but I'm not 100% certain that I did it right. I'm only 50% sure I calibrated the humidity right though, hahah! Iill gonna do that again before I hatch for sure, now that I'm thinking about it again.
I tried to check for hot/cold spots, but only had one thermometer, so moving the probe around the incubator could only be so accurate. I do want to get a thermometer were I can check the temp/humidity using a phone though, since we may have to go out of town while the eggs are in the bator. Only for a few days, but then I can infer our full time renter to go adjust things if it seems to high. Then I'll have two thermometers to check for hot spots.
Thanks for all the good info!

Hey guys!
This was my first incubation this Spring, and was overall a really fun experience! My first batch of eggs were 6 shipped Cochin bantam eggs. I was hoping for 3 chicks in the end. I had one infertile egg in the beginning, but having an extra I still had the 6 eggs. I had another quitter on day 10 I believe, and then the other 5 had strong veins and lots of movement for the rest of incubation. A specific egg, which we called Speckles, we really hoped would hatch had the strongest veins, and so much movement. On day 17, we tossed 2 more eggs and put 3 eggs into lockdown, 2 cream eggs and Speckles. I removed the turner, and raised the humidity to 65-70%. On day 19, one egg hatched. On day 21 both of the other eggs who had stung veins and movement before lockdown, were both dead. No veins, the black mass was deteriorated, and they glowed yellow.
I had a calibrated thermometer and humidity gauge in the incubator the whole time, I candled almost daily, and kept temp at 99.5 in a circulated are incubator, and humidity at 48%. I used a Little Giant incubator.

Then, I had another batch of 12 shipped EE and Dark Brahama bantam hatching eggs. I got them when the Cochin eggs were on day 7, so they were a week apart. I lost the two extra eggs from being cracked upon arrival, and tossed 2 infertile eggs on day 6. I lost another 4 eggs on day 9 or 10 I believe. When the Cochin eggs went into lockdown, I moved this batch of now 6 eggs into another incubator to maintain proper humidity. I didn't have an extra humidity gauge in the second bator, but I had figured out how to keep it stable. The day after moving the eggs, I had to toss another 4 I was sure were dead. I didn't candle before I moved the eggs, so I dont know if it was the second bator or not. Then, the surviving two eggs seemed strong. I moved them back after Early bird hatched, and today i candled the remaining egg and I'm again afraid its dead.
So Cochin bantam eggs- 1/6
EE Dark brahama bantams- 0/12
Ideas???
Too me, it sounds like the breeder is selling poor quality eggs. It's nothing you did to doom your hatch. All in all you never know for sure with purchased eggs, unless you know the breeder well. When I buy eggs off Ebay I just assume all risk.

Back
Top Bottom