What did I do wrong, so I don't do it again??? I think I killed a chick... PLEASE ADVISE!!!

bethann33

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
First time hatcher, LG Incubator.

Fertile eggs from new hens that were in w a roo before I got them. (via breeder)

I had one pip yesterday.

It struggled for about 10 hours, with just a pip. I read through the thread that explaines how to help a chick out if there isn't sufficient humidity. I noticed the membrane was dry, so I helped it crack the shell a bit. I waited. There was a quarter size portion of the membrane exposed. I used a wet q-tip to wet the membrane. I put it back in and waited. Nothing. movements were getting scarce. So I broke off some more shell. Waited some more. Tiny chirps and small movement, but no breaking out of the membrane. I got hasty and then removed the rest. and then... I removed the membrane. The chick died withing 2 minutes. I'm guessing I killed it. I'm thinking that was a BIG NO-NO. Is that where I went wrong? I really don't want to kill anymore chicks!!! I have a few more set to hatch today or tomorrow. I have lots of wet towels in there to help with the humidity. What should I have done differently?

PLEASE ADVISE!!!!!

Sometimes it can take them 24-48 hrs to completely hatch they pip and then sit in the egg absorbing the yolk they take LOTS of breaks. Best thing to do is to leave them alone the more you open incubator the more you let humidity out

Ok- darn it. I knew I had messed up.
hit.gif

You didn't necessarily mess up. Sometimes they just are not strong enough to hatch, or survive if they do hatch. I've tried a couple of times to "help", but have decided from now on to let nature take its course. I know that people do help and the chicks survive, and all is well, but that has not been my experience.

Remember that very rarely, if ever, folks get 100% hatch rate. Many chicks die under broody hen too.
So its natural for some of them to die.

Don't kick your self, step back, let the nature take its course and enjoy the outcome now matter how small it is.

Thank-you. I've been kicking myself. My 6 year old daughter is SO excited to hatch a baby chick and was up at 3am mourning the death of this one- she was pretty bummed... ;)

So is there ever a time to intervene? my incubator is not great at keeping humidity. I have the Little Giant, and it's kind of a pain. Should I fill the bottom with a layer of water? I've got two small bowls filled with water and paper towels now. The membrane was completely dry on the one that died, - isn't that a sign that the humidity is too low?

Oh- You know what? It pipped in the side of the egg. Not in the air space. Is that possibly why it had trouble coming out?

I use a spray bottle to mist my LG bator several times a day to keep humidity up...works quite well for me. do you have a hygrometer?

Best idea is to not assist with hatches. (I still tell myself that but still end up helping too often...darn impatient me)

Just don't beat yourself up. Chances were it was a weak chick. was there a lot of blood when you assisted it?

Back
Top Bottom