what did i do wrong?

jenniferqui72

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2016
Had 6 eggs in incubator every one of them was moving and had good veins at lockdown one pipped next day and hatched later that night the rest died after lockdown what did i do wrong?

It depends on the circumstances. Did you open the incubator frequently? That reduces the humidity in the incubator and causes poor ventilation. Limit opening of the incubator as much as possible. What was your humidity during lockdown? The humidity should be 50-50% until lockdown where you should up the humidity to 60%. I hope I helped!
welcome-byc.gif

Had 6 eggs in incubator every one of them was moving and had good veins at lockdown one pipped next day and hatched later that night the rest died after lockdown what did i do wrong?
I'm going to have to disagree with the previous post, especially where the numbers are concerned. Many people have much better hatching using a low humidity incubation method over the first 17 days and then highering it for lockdown/hatch. In my experience many people that have compromised hatches after lockdown is either because the humidity was too high for the first 17 days, not allowing the egg to loose enough moisture so when it comes time to hatch, they end up "drowning" in the excess moisture. Or the temps were quite a bit lower than the recommended and the chick died before development and hatch was completed.

My first question is, "Are your thermometers and hygrometer checked for accuracy?" Big big big deal that. (I found out the hard way.)
2nd, "What kind of incubator are you using and is it still or forced air?"
3rd, What temps and humidity did you incubate at?

Answers to these questions will help us to help narrow it down and troubleshoot for you. I'm going to hypothesize humidity issues if you are incubating standard sized eggs at any higher than 40-45% humidity the first 17 days and did not monitor air cells for growth. The thing with humidity is, one number or range does not work for everyone, but learning to tell if yor humidity is working for you is not hard. Myself and many others generally incubate at 30%-40% the first 17 days. (I run dry usually and my goal is 30%) I am a very hands on hatcher (in and out of the incubator during hatch) so at lockdown, I shoot for 75% humidity. A hands off hatcher can easily hatch out at 60% confidently.

I'm going to have to disagree with the previous post, especially where the numbers are concerned. Many people have much better hatching using a low humidity incubation method over the first 17 days and then highering it for lockdown/hatch. In my experience many people that have compromised hatches after lockdown is either because the humidity was too high for the first 17 days, not allowing the egg to loose enough moisture so when it comes time to hatch, they end up "drowning" in the excess moisture. Or the temps were quite a bit lower than the recommended and the chick died before development and hatch was completed.

My first question is, "Are your thermometers and hygrometer checked for accuracy?" Big big big deal that. (I found out the hard way.)
2nd, "What kind of incubator are you using and is it still or forced air?"
3rd, What temps and humidity did you incubate at?

Answers to these questions will help us to help narrow it down and troubleshoot for you. I'm going to hypothesize humidity issues if you are incubating standard sized eggs at any higher than 40-45% humidity the first 17 days and did not monitor air cells for growth. The thing with humidity is, one number or range does not work for everyone, but learning to tell if yor humidity is working for you is not hard. Myself and many others generally incubate at 30%-40% the first 17 days. (I run dry usually and my goal is 30%) I am a very hands on hatcher (in and out of the incubator during hatch) so at lockdown, I shoot for 75% humidity. A hands off hatcher can easily hatch out at 60% confidently.
X2

Still in the learning stages had a cheap incubator and think it was humidity went and bought a hopefully better incubator maybe better luck this time thanks for the comments any more advice welcome

Back
Top Bottom