What did I say?!?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by russ_t, Apr 17, 2009.

1. russ_t

russ_t Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Taylor, Texas
    I went out this morning to let the flock out of the coop and heard the first ever crow from one of my cockerels. The birds are Wellsummers about 3 months old. 3 pullets and 6 cockerels.

I wanted to see if I get the vocal boy to crow again so I issued my own of key attempt at a low volume crow. All nine birds stopped dead in their tracks and then took off like a shot in to the coop. One brave boy stood guard just inside the door.

I guess it ment something in chicken-ese, but danged if I know what...

2. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

That's funny. Probably sounded like an alarm.
    [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Congrats! Apparently you are fluent in predator alerts. Might wanna work on your cockle-doodle-do's though. [​IMG]

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    [​IMG]

Too funny!

5. CrimsonRose

CrimsonRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    [​IMG] Glad to know I'm not the only one who talks to their chickens... [​IMG] Yeah I'm always misunderstood too...

6. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

haha at least they understood you!

I quack at my ducks and bleat at my goats the whole time i am out with them ech day. its relaxing to talk to them!

7. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    My chickens are scared of me when I try to talk chicken. They come to me if I speak english! [​IMG] I guess us humans just don't know the proper chicken talk! [​IMG]

8. countrygirlatheart

countrygirlatheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Huffman Texas
    [​IMG] Don't feel bad, We do the same thing with our's and they just look at us like we're nuts (well, we are). Sometimes we think we have democratic chickens though because (we swear) it sounds like they say "BBAARROOCCKK!!!!" [​IMG]. We are currently trying to teach them a new word.............but its not working [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Wanna freak your rooster out? Get the rooster crowing ringtone on your cell phone and play it where he can hear it, but not see you. I'm giving my rooster a complex this way. Yes, I'm mean. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by