What did my chicken lay? (Warning: pretty gnarly pics)

itslifesaidshe

Chirping
Apr 18, 2019
New Brunswick, Canada
While putting my girls to bed tonight I noticed something strange on the ramp up to their coop. It looked like bloody albumin next to what appeared to be a long piece of intestine shaped membrane. Some of my girls are molting and it’s pretty cold this week, so I’m wondering if that is just throwing them off? I checked on them in the coop and they all looked normal, but while I was looking one layed a shell-less membraneless egg. And then she had a normal looking poop. Soooo what do you think that might be? I searched online but did not find anything similar. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry the quality of the photos isn’t better; it was freezing and dark out!
ACB20B57-8A90-4D39-82DB-74FBFB536379.jpeg
605992F1-1FA4-47A5-8B66-25AEDA8C7B55.jpeg

While putting my girls to bed tonight I noticed something strange on the ramp up to their coop. It looked like bloody albumin next to what appeared to be a long piece of intestine shaped membrane. Some of my girls are molting and it’s pretty cold this week, so I’m wondering if that is just throwing them off? I checked on them in the coop and they all looked normal, but while I was looking one layed a shell-less membraneless egg. And then she had a normal looking poop. Soooo what do you think that might be? I searched online but did not find anything similar. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry the quality of the photos isn’t better; it was freezing and dark out!View attachment 2425477View attachment 2425478
It was almost like an long, odd shaped shell-less egg, though. It was just filled with the same blood tinged albumin. I wonder if it’s a calcium problem.
It looks like a membrane to me.
Could just be from a glitch. Sometimes a tiny blood vessel can rupture in the reproductive system and the blood will be incorporated into the albumen as it travels through.
For some reason it didn't stay long enough in the shell gland to get completed. If she's molting, then that can cause some funny things at times.

I would probably give her 1/2 tablet of caltrate for 3 days (no more) and see if that helps.
I like to also direct dose with vitamins like Poultry Cell for a couple of days.

Keep us posted.

Could just be from a glitch. Sometimes a tiny blood vessel can rupture in the reproductive system and the blood will be incorporated into the albumen as it travels through.
For some reason it didn't stay long enough in the shell gland to get completed. If she's molting, then that can cause some funny things at times.
Ditto Dat^^^

How old is this bird, in weeks or months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I would probably give her 1/2 tablet of caltrate for 3 days (no more) and see if that helps.
I like to also direct dose with vitamins like Poultry Cell for a couple of days.

Keep us posted.
Thank you! I’ll try that for sure.

Ditto Dat^^^

How old is this bird, in weeks or months?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
They hatched April of 2019. They get chicken layer crumble and treats (veggies) a couple times a week. Oyster shells or their own crushed shells, but I’ve been slack in supplementing them with those recently, so I think that may contribute.

Back
Top Bottom