What did my chicken lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by urbanfred, Jul 16, 2011.

1. urbanfred

urbanfred Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Portland
    Well, my remaining pet RIR, the Lovely Rhonda, is 7 years old, healthy and vigorous. She resumed laying in May, laid for 3-4 weeks, then caught a virus and stopped laying. After she got well (3 days), she did not resume laying, and hadn't for at least 6 weeks..
    However, she laid and ate one egg last week (naughty chicken), and today laid the following: instead of an egg, there was a black mass, shaped and sized like a mutant prune; two tiny bean-shaped and albumin-covered "things" that resembled tan-colored fish roe; a wad of clear tissue, and smears of yolk and egg white. No shell at all.
    I'm not finding too much info about elderly chickens, so I'm hoping our BYC family can help me sort this out. Is there something awful to come? Is this an aberration? What can you share with me? Thanks in advance!

2. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Photo please.... Sounds very interesting and odd.

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I feel bad but those are her ovaries. That means she will no longer lay.

4. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:So what your saying is that she basically gave herself a hysterectomy? Didn't even know that was possible, that is truly awful.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Yuck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by