What did this to my babies???!!! Please help!!Only heads found........

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wischickenlover, Nov 1, 2008.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    In two days, we have found only the heads of two of our banties. Two more are missing.[​IMG] What predator does this?? We are heartbroken and would like to catch the culprit. Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    A mink or weasel?? They are know to rip a head off. If the bird is small enough they could drag it off. Sorry

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If only the heads are left, sounds like an owl. Im so sorry for your loss. Watch the tree tops. Are they in a covered run!?

4. Capt. Crusoe

Capt. Crusoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2007
    McHenry County, IL
    So sorry for your loss and I know how devastating this can be. I sobbed for two days the night I lost six birds. Turned out to be wild mink. They used the same method - chewing the heads off and leaving the carcass of 4 behind. They seem to kill for sport and then drag off whatever they feel like eating whole. I trapped them with a live trap, using "suet for woodpeckers" as bait. I tied a piece 1½”x 1½” x 1” to the back of the trap. They will never kill another one of my birds.

I then reinforced my pen with ½”x ½” x 4' wire cloth and finished it off with 3 strands of electric fencing at 5 “ intervals around the outside base of the run and coop. Never had another loss. [​IMG]

5. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I think it can pretty much be anything predatory. Coons will do the same thing.....

6. F.L Buff

F.L Buff Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2008
    I am so sorry! mabye a mink or a owl?

7. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Thanks so much for all your replies. I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking owl. There are no bodies anywhere-only heads. It breaks my heart-they were so young. I just hope they didn't suffer. Now, how do I stop it? My girls have always been free range-the coop is too small to keep them confined all day and night. Any input would be appreciated...thanks!

8. Rainman

Rainman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Woodinville WA.
    Quote:I agree. This is consistent with the manner in which these predators kill. These animals have a very high metabolic rate and drag their prey off to store for later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by