What did this to my babies???!!! Please help!!Only heads found........

wischickenlover

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Ladysmith, WI
In two days, we have found only the heads of two of our banties. Two more are missing.
sad.png
What predator does this?? We are heartbroken and would like to catch the culprit. Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss and I know how devastating this can be. I sobbed for two days the night I lost six birds. Turned out to be wild mink. They used the same method - chewing the heads off and leaving the carcass of 4 behind. They seem to kill for sport and then drag off whatever they feel like eating whole. I trapped them with a live trap, using "suet for woodpeckers" as bait. I tied a piece 1½”x 1½” x 1” to the back of the trap. They will never kill another one of my birds.

I then reinforced my pen with ½”x ½” x 4' wire cloth and finished it off with 3 strands of electric fencing at 5 “ intervals around the outside base of the run and coop. Never had another loss.
wink.png

Thanks so much for all your replies. I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking owl. There are no bodies anywhere-only heads. It breaks my heart-they were so young. I just hope they didn't suffer. Now, how do I stop it? My girls have always been free range-the coop is too small to keep them confined all day and night. Any input would be appreciated...thanks!

Quote:
I agree. This is consistent with the manner in which these predators kill. These animals have a very high metabolic rate and drag their prey off to store for later.

Back
Top Bottom