What did we do wrong? -- first bird butchered not so great..

I agree with just taking the birds head off. People discuss many different ways, but my processor just cuts the head off - it's all over in one swipe of the knife and they bleed out great.

Quote:
So, you're of the opinion that doing a quick removal is better (at least until I can find the artery) and that in terms of slow cooking, we're talking about boiling more or less for the cooking or can we follow what is done for pork ribs (low heat -- perhaps 225F for several hours)? Just want to get an idea of what's possible here.. Thx!

5 hours @ 200 is in the oven.
We raise and eat CX (7-8week old birds). We also eat my layer breed roo culls at crowing age (8-12 weeks) - small skinny carcass perfect size for soup pot. Old in our house is anything else but usually over 6 months & they are reserved for Chicken & Dumplings.

If your interested we also enjoy spatchcocked chicken - we reserve this for a big plump 5 lb bird.
We came home from a trip a few nights ago, pulled out 5 lb bird (CX) that had been resting in the frig while we were gone. Popped it in the oven, and 45 min later had a meal that more than fed four adults, in fact it fed four adults again the next night.

spatchcocked
use kitchen shears to cut down both sides of and remove spine & neck.
ope bird like a book, and place in backing dish flat (skin up)
rub some seasoning under skin, and suround with vegies of choice
drizzle with olive oil and Salt & Pepper

cook at 500 degrees for apx 45 min (5 pounder)

let rest for about 5 - 10 min

The store baught chicken is the Cornish X hybrid that is processed at 35 days of age for a Cornish Game Hen at 1 1/2 - 2+ lb. or at 6 weeks for 4.5- 6+lb for a frier or BBQ , or 8 weeks of age. for 6-8 lb roaster. The Dual Purpose or egg layer chickens will not even come close to reach those sizes at those ages.

Thanks All! I think you've answered my questions!

To summarize what I've gleaned :

1) Old chickens are >12 weeks old
2) Old chickens require resting in the fridge for multiple days (e.g. 13 month old = ~5-7 days of resting per the earlier example) and as long as 2 weeks (or more?)
3) Cornish X's are what's used for store-bought birds and they grow much faster than heritage birds
4) Old chickens can be cooked low-n-slow like BBQ ribs to reduce the tough meat (e.g. 200F for ~5 hours)
5) Super Old Chickens (>1.5 years) are probably better off in a crock pot or stew
6) For meatie newbies (like me!), it's probably best to just lop the birds head-off and be done with it.

Thanks all!!

Last edited:
Yes a sharp knife and off with their heads! That's the least painful way for the birds in my opinion. We've tried the ax and choping block and all kinds of differnt methods. But a sharp knife is best it happens fast and they don't know what happened.
I like to cook my layers and roosters in a big cook pot or crock pot. I use 1/2 cup of honey and 1/2 cup of mustard. Baist them in this (I mix the honey and mustard) put chicken in the oven at 200 for 4-5 or so hours. Its very yummy and easy. If you google honey mustard chicken recipee you'll find it!
smile.png

Oh by the way we tried the BBQ once! My sister had 2+ year old hens... ha ha ha! Like chewing on cement!

Last edited:
Hi, I raise chicken for meat and have experience both proper meat breeds and laying breeds. Mine where culled at 20 weeks. I do find they have a more gamey taste than store bought chickens, not much but a bit, which I like, but is obviously a preference. As mentioned before store birds are only 6 weeks so I guess that's why you don't get the gamey taste and are very tender. Mine are a little tougher than store bought birds but I think if I got them up to weight sooner they would be more tender. Also between breeds there's no difference in taste or texture just less meat on the laying bird. A 13 month bird is an old bird as far as cooking it goes. My Nan told me that old birds should be boiled before roasting or cooking for whaterever meal, that will tenderise the meat. I will eat my layers as they stop laying but boiling them first (we usually roast our chickens). I hope this helps and if you did consider raising birds for meat I recommend getting a good meat breed as sometimes the hassle of culling, plucking and gutting a bird that hasn't got that much meat on it isn't worthwile. I also find when cooked the chicken lasts a long time. The last one we did weighed 2.5 kg and lasted a week, beautiful bird and very satisfying :)

Back
Top Bottom