What did you do in the garden today?

I have mixed feelings about this. I've never seen this technique before. @chickengr and @Swiss what benefits do you see with this method? Do the seedlings still get transplanted into larger pots?

I can see the pro of not having to up-pot, and adding roots from the stem like when you bury a transplant in the garden.

But I feel like it's making a leggy seedling in the beginning and not allowing the original root ball to expand like it would if it got up-potted as it grew. Also risking dampening or other disease issues for such young seedlings.

Do you guys think the tomatoes grown with this method do better than a traditional start?

Eager to learn. ☺️

ETA: I assume when you add more soil you're not lifting the plant and adding below the roots. Rather, burying the stem as it grows up out of the cup.

Also ETA: does this method work better for specific varieties or types of tomatoes?
Great questions! I've never seen tomato plants grown this way either.

got to harvest one asparagus spear today!
Yay! We’ve harvested 3x now - and they are sweeter than what you get in the store! Maybe it’s the variety (“Millenium” I think is the variety), maybe bc it’s so fresh.

My time is spent with the goats. Little orphan Annie gets milk several times a day. But it’s a process bc have to get mom or Aunt into milking stand for her to nurse. They (moms) need treats. Mom Molly runs off into chicken run to steel a bite or two of chicken feed if I lose hold of her collar! Aunt Roxie stands longingly at the outer door staring at dandelions. Today Annie was disbudded. She did great at the vet and he gave her a pain shot that lasts 24 hours. The boys are almost two weeks past their disbudding.

A couple of cute pics of Annie outside.
IMG_4675.jpeg

IMG_4674.jpeg

Still havent started tomatoes. But, maybe today (I’ve said that before).

We bought some limb spreaders from Stark to spread some limbs on some of the older trees. I’ll also need to pull some down with padded wire.

The lentils I planted in a raised bed are sprouting!

The Marshall strawberries I planted last year are looking great! Leaves are so glossy! I’m looking forward to some berries!

@WthrLady my Rhubarb also tried flowering year 2. I split some of them this year, but the ones I didn’t split are trying to flower. Cut off the flowers/entire flower stalk bc the take all the energy, and provide no value, but you probably already know that.

Back
Top Bottom