What did you do in the garden today?

You're right @Wee Farmer Sarah but I have to work on Monday so it better thaw out today! Lol. Up to 32 already so I should be ok.

Gotta cover the garlic with straw, dig dahlias & dig some spare dirt for the dust bath. But I just dropped DH off at the airport to go pick up our toterhome in AL & I'd rather stay inside & watch movies instead!

@Acre4Me I cant wait to see how the fig does!
It’s a balmy 31F right now. I doubt if we’ll hit 40F today. Tomorrow is the best day for me. Monday I plan on cashing in on some of the Veterans Day freebies. I really need a haircut and a free lunch is always a nice treat. It will be nice after all the work I need to do tomorrow. I’m lucky. The dirt in my chicken run is always dry so they just kick it up when they are in the mood. Good luck tomorrow.

Man, I feel lucky! It's supposed to hit 60 degrees here today and 65 degrees on Sunday! Then they are calling for snow on Monday with a high of 37 and only 30 on Tuesday.
Of course, Monday and Tuesday are when I am supposed to go back to my son's house and go trout fishing with him since we didn't get to do it before or after his wedding. ( For his bachelor party! :gig). Good thing we both have insulated coveralls. I'm pretty sure we are going to need them!
The pumpkin seeds were a big hit at trivia last night! One friend wants to get the recipes and a pumpkin from me.:D She wants to make pumpkin pies :oops: and the pumpkin seeds.
I need to pull up some T posts to take to my sons house but I don't think I will have time today. I need to wrap a present for a grandson's 6th birthday party, then pick up the granddaughter and take her to the party. After I drop her back off I need to drive back to Innsbrook ( an hour each way) to pick up my Mom and take her back to her apartment. I haven't heard from her so I hope everything went well for her last night!
I did get 4 quarts of pumpkin chunks canned 2 days ago. Just 16 more pumpkins to go! :lau:lau

Got the dahlias all dug up. Did nick a couple on one that turned out to be huge. The ones in pots were definitely a little frozen on the top but look fine, they should all make it. I'll let them sit in the box for a few days to dry a bit then pack them up in vermeculite.

Question for you that compost in freezing climates, what do you do in the winter? I saved some leaves thinking I could keep adding kitchen compost then layer it with leaves. It will freeze so I won't be able to turn it - is this a good plan? This is my first year composting & I'm excited because my current pile is doing great. Its full so time to switch to the 2nd bin.
IMG_20191109_115559835_BURST001.jpg

Good morning gardeners. Good golly, the temperatures went up a little bit overnight. It was 30F when I finally rolled out of bed. I was up late trying to get my "not so old" humidifier to work. Not successful, oh well. Thank you for posting the pictures of the dahlia tubers @Sueby. I'll be digging mine up after I get my laundry going. As far as the compost: What I have in my tumbler has been a work in progress over the last 18 months. It only finally froze when we had that seriously cold weather last winter. I really want to start another fresh batch, so I'm dumping mine in the garden soon. Another reason I couldn't turn mine last winter was that with all the ice, the gate to my garden froze and I wasn't able to get to the tumbler. If you have an unobstructed path to your tumbler and place it in the sun, you should be fine. Regarding the sewing machines @penny1960, I did a lot of sewing when I was younger, much younger. I stopped for years, then when I was prepping for retirement I picked up a Brothers machine on sale at Walmart. I didn't do any sewing until I needed to make chicken saddles for my hens. I've used so many different types and models of machines, but after re-orienting myself I was rather proud of my old self in that it all came back to me. I plan on taking on a few sewing projects over the winter. Best of luck for all of you prepping for winter. Have a great day.

Got the dahlias all dug up. Did nick a couple on one that turned out to be huge. The ones in pots were definitely a little frozen on the top but look fine, they should all make it. I'll let them sit in the box for a few days to dry a bit then pack them up in vermeculite.

Question for you that compost in freezing climates, what do you do in the winter? I saved some leaves thinking I could keep adding kitchen compost then layer it with leaves. It will freeze so I won't be able to turn it - is this a good plan? This is my first year composting & I'm excited because my current pile is doing great. Its full so time to switch to the 2nd bin. View attachment 1955971

My compost pile is on the ground and I still add to it over the winter. It doesn't stay frozen the whole winter, so I turn it when I can and don't worry about it when I can't.

That is how we treat ours we do have one barrel we roll often but like we turn the two on the ground by spring it will be ready to add to low tires we use to garden .. awful wet let the dogs out this morning found the back door had blown open :confused:still laundry room door was closed and locked so let out the dogs after I closed the outdoor door behind me Nooooooooooooooo door was locked had to walk in canvas tennies wet grass to the bedroom window wake BF to unlock the door:he:celebrate

That is how we treat ours we do have one barrel we roll often but like we turn the two on the ground by spring it will be ready to add to low tires we use to garden .. awful wet let the dogs out this morning found the back door had blown open :confused:still laundry room door was closed and locked so let out the dogs after I closed the outdoor door behind me Nooooooooooooooo door was locked had to walk in canvas tennies wet grass to the bedroom window wake BF to unlock the door:he:celebrate
Oh no Penny! I’ve had to walk through wet grass in socks to get my hidden key. Not a lot of fun!

Back
Top Bottom