What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning all. Good golly, t'is the season for pumpkins and spicey cookies. I have a recipe from an old version of the "The Joy of Cooking." I have two editions but I refer to the tenth printing in 1978 as "my cooking bible." When @Acre4Me mentioned the ginger cookies it reminded me of the delicate ginger thins from this cookbook.
Preheat oven to 325F
Cream together:
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup molasses
Sift together:
1- 1/2 cups sifter AP flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon each of cloves, cinnamon and ginger

Combine the above ingredients and stir until smooth. Put dots of 1/8 teaspoon 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet (making them large will result in a tougher cookie). Bake 5 to 6 minutes. Cool on a rack.

I hope you like them. Thank you @Sueby. I had a nice day yesterday. I went to the nearby Olive Garden and they were so nice. They didn't wait for you to mention it, they asked everyone at the Hostess station if any members in their party were Veterans. The meal was great. Even though the meal was free the waiter boxed up the leftover salad and gave me a bunch of those little chocolate Andes. Of course I tipped him.
So my dahlia tubers are looking a little shriveled all ready. Is that normal @Sueby?
I bought two more shower curtains for my chicken run. I'm hoping to get them put up later this morning. It's supposed to be rainy this morning then snow showers this afternoon. Then we get a big temperature dive into the teens. Thankfully it's only for a couple of days then back to normal temps. Have a great day everyone.
I’ve got the dough made for those xtra spicy ginger snaps @Acre4Me mentioned! It’s in the fridge, will bake them after dinner!
F07357EF-5436-465B-A51D-62004E9C6C23.jpeg

DS' room is done. Took me the whole week with stripping, packing, cleaning, shoving all the furniture around, painting, moving furniture around again, and then decorating - figuring out what and then where to put it. PLUS a trip to get the blinds and get them up.

That's done.

DHs home office is next. LOTS of shelves and books and I need to find him a new desk. So for that one, I just need to empty out the room, paint, and put the room back together. 3 days tops. (once I start)

Then I have one minor and one MAJOR bathroom remodel to start. BLEH. It's just SO much work.

I need to chop up the last cushaw and pumpkin to freeze and I'll cook them later for the hens.

We were down to 1 degree last night and you don't want to know the windchill. My pincushions are sleeping in the workshop. Again.

DS' room is done. Took me the whole week with stripping, packing, cleaning, shoving all the furniture around, painting, moving furniture around again, and then decorating - figuring out what and then where to put it. PLUS a trip to get the blinds and get them up.

That's done.

DHs home office is next. LOTS of shelves and books and I need to find him a new desk. So for that one, I just need to empty out the room, paint, and put the room back together. 3 days tops. (once I start)

Then I have one minor and one MAJOR bathroom remodel to start. BLEH. It's just SO much work.

I need to chop up the last cushaw and pumpkin to freeze and I'll cook them later for the hens.

We were down to 1 degree last night and you don't want to know the windchill. My pincushions are sleeping in the workshop. Again.
You have my sympathy for your weather! Good thing you have lots planned inside!

I get to put new counters in a new sink pain solid beautiful wood cabinets original to the home or strip them maybe but wanted wood counters maybe strip then paint ?
there is one wall one corner in wall paper also has a built in spice rack in red would be near impossible to pull it out to strip we have already replaced the stove I have nice stainless gas stove 5 burner
house 019.jpg
kitchen.jpg

Better than any I ever had! I’ll add more cayenne next time. I followed the recipe exactly. That was fun and DH was thrilled so thanks a million.

YW! You definitely like them spicy!!

for everyone else, the recipe calls for 2 Tbsp ground ginger and an additional 2 Tbsp finely grated fresh ginger. Then cinnamon, cloves, cayenne, and black pepper .... a spicy cookie for sure!! But sweet too!

Back
Top Bottom