What did you do in the garden today?

TropicalBabies

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Hawaii
Good plan! Is there any particular reason you don't want babies from the wild boys? Just curious.
Too flighty... among a few other reasons. I have two half wilds now and I love them but they do what they want, when they want. They are prone to broodiness, hiding eggs... hoping any fence. Very resourceful so are the hardest on my non veggie gardens. Although they are hardy as all heck, I think my two is all I can handle :th I like the domestics because I can easily manipulate/control them them.
These roos are surely from fighting stock and some are handsome, like the dominant that is courting my gals but many are just scraggly and just make unfortunate looking babies.

Boonie Stomper

Crowing
Jan 1, 2018
DC, MD, VA region
I let my chooks do some tilling and watched from inside. Planning for the garden is important when the weather's yucky and you feel too crummy to go out in it much.

My inside plants are doing ok. I will replant the turmeric after frost danger is passed, along with returning patio plants to real sunlight (I'm using full spectrum LED arrays in my kitchen and bath at night, as there is not enough sun through windows here).

My old greenhouse made mostly of repurposed dual pane store windows is housing the flock so they eat any plants in there.

The garden is destined for transformation to raised beds this year. I've collected an old bathtup and basement sink to use as planters on the concrete slab next to the old veggie garden. They will kerp the chokes under control and grow potatoes and tomatoes. Then for raised beds, a collection of solid wood dresser drawers will be arranged, lined with old white plastic boat wrap, and they layered as small lasagne gardens for different veggies and herbs.

I'm open to suggestions on the best layering. But am thinking of using a water holding layer in the bottom for the hot dry summer, composted chicken coop cleanout from 2018, dirt and leaf/grass compost, and put weep holes in plastic 1 - 2 inches up the sides to help when it rains a lot.

Will have Carolina Reaper, ghost and Trinidad Scorpion peppers. Heirloom tomatoes. Squash. Fennel. Various alliums. Sage. Garlic chives. Oregano. Potatoes and sunchokes. Maybe cukes or beans on the old frame on the slab... Need to get the old leaning apple tree under control first though, and dig up a gazillion sunchokes.
20190626_172537.jpg

igorsMistress

In the middle
Premium member
6 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
Too flighty... among a few other reasons. I have two half wilds now and I love them but they do what they want, when they want. They are prone to broodiness, hiding eggs... hoping any fence. Very resourceful so are the hardest on my non veggie gardens. Although they are hardy as all heck, I think my two is all I can handle :th I like the domestics because I can easily manipulate/control them them.
These roos are surely from fighting stock and some are handsome, like the dominant that is courting my gals but many are just scraggly and just make unfortunate looking babies.
I completely understand. I was wondering if the babies might tend toward the wild side too.
I read an article or something where the wild roosters coaxed someone's domestic hens away. Crazy.

Top Bottom