What did you do in the garden today?

Yesterday I planted tomatoes, peppers, bush beans, watermelon, and squash. Then, later that day it poured down rain. I had water flowing from the cow pasture into the chicken yard, into the ditch, into the garden...
Praise the Lord the water is not longer "standing" in the garden!!
At least it watered in my plants pretty well, haha.

Good morning gardeners. Not much happening in my garden right now. I pulled the squash plants and oregano this morning and tossed them to the chickens. My son should be around shortly to move blocks for the new bed. Yesterday afternoon I rearranged the succulents so they get a bit less direct sun. We're nearing the Summer Solstice and by then the sun will be brutal even in the late morning
20200528_062121.jpg

There's a flower on the jalapeno plant
20200528_062218.jpg

Forget Me Nots
20200528_062229.jpg

Nasturtiums are still going strong
20200528_062249.jpg

Ground cover has gone crazy this year and I like the tiny flowers
20200528_062308.jpg

Enjoy your Friday Eve everyone!

Morning . Showers off and on today . Garden too wet to work in . So I bought more seeds yesterday and a Goldstrum daisy plant . A perennial black eyed Susan . Green beans germinated poorly . Seed too old I guess . So I bought new seed . Vine crops are still not up . Just a few pre germinated cakes up . Planted some Columbine seed . Hoping for more variety in color . The potted root Columbine 2 have bloomed yellow . 2 have not bloomed . Bought Balsam seed as mine quit reseeding .

Good morning gardeners and okra haters. Thank you @littledog. For those of us who know how to cook just about anything and make it tasty. I'm surprised @FortCluck, when do "vegans" eat gumbo? There's a lot of animal protein in there. And I'm sure @Xalthir knows that okra and a well made roux are key to a decent gumbo. But onto the garden. I gave the garden a good watering yesterday. I finally found something for my flower garden border. Apparently there's a whole lot of gardening going on right now. On the way home from the store I stopped at a local nursery and picked up some pickling cucumber starts and an extra tomato plant. Something ate 2 of my cucumber plants. But everything else is doing well. The cabbage and lettuce is growing. The peas are climbing up the rope. And all but 3 of my potato plants need to be hilled already. I had forgotten about the dill seeds I scattered in one of my herb beds, but there are some dill plants coming up. The radishes I planted recently are coming up as well. I need to do more work on the baby coop today. I counted up my remaining 2 x 4's and I need to pick up a few more for the run. I should be done with that sometime next week. I'm glad you are able to communicate better with your mother @karenerwin. But just a thought, nursing homes are really expensive. Have you compared the cost of her remaining in the apartment and having home health aides help her. Have a great day everyone.

Maybe it's that chippy eating your cukes!! Those stupid chippies go through the pots on my deck & make a mess every couple of days.

& I hate gumbo, okra or not. Blech. :sick I did 3 weeks of volunteer work with the Red Cross in New Orleans after Katrina & Rita in 2005 - we drove the ERV (emergency response vehicle) around & fed people. Chef Landry, who used to have a cooking show, cooked all the food we delivered. He invited us all to his house for Christmas dinner & made gumbo (among a ton of other things) & I hated it. I would imagine he makes a pretty good gumbo being from NO & all - I just don't like anything in it like shrimp, sausage, peppers, etc. :confused: I would starve if I grew up down south. :gig

Good morning gardeners and okra haters. Thank you @littledog. For those of us who know how to cook just about anything and make it tasty. I'm surprised @FortCluck, when do "vegans" eat gumbo? There's a lot of animal protein in there. And I'm sure @Xalthir knows that okra and a well made roux are key to a decent gumbo. But onto the garden. I gave the garden a good watering yesterday. I finally found something for my flower garden border. Apparently there's a whole lot of gardening going on right now. On the way home from the store I stopped at a local nursery and picked up some pickling cucumber starts and an extra tomato plant. Something ate 2 of my cucumber plants. But everything else is doing well. The cabbage and lettuce is growing. The peas are climbing up the rope. And all but 3 of my potato plants need to be hilled already. I had forgotten about the dill seeds I scattered in one of my herb beds, but there are some dill plants coming up. The radishes I planted recently are coming up as well. I need to do more work on the baby coop today. I counted up my remaining 2 x 4's and I need to pick up a few more for the run. I should be done with that sometime next week. I'm glad you are able to communicate better with your mother @karenerwin. But just a thought, nursing homes are really expensive. Have you compared the cost of her remaining in the apartment and having home health aides help her. Have a great day everyone.
You can make vegan gumbo it doesn’t have to have meat. I learned from people in Louisiana.

Yesterday we put up some cattle panels on some t posts for half runner beans and cucumbers to climb on. Hasn’t been much gardening weather here so far. Going to check the ground to see if it’s dry enough to till again to plant some more corn and beans .Picked some mustard greens a few minutes ago and they are cooking for supper tonight.
B6CA2C1F-077C-408D-BA13-5116D1260E7E.jpeg

Yesterday we put up some cattle panels on some t posts for half runner beans and cucumbers to climb on. Hasn’t been much gardening weather here so far. Going to check the ground to see if it’s dry enough to till again to plant some more corn and beans .Picked some mustard greens a few minutes ago and they are cooking for supper tonight.View attachment 2164536
I love cooked greens of just about any kind but I do really love mustard greens. Chard used to be my favorite until I planted Dragon Tongue mustard greens last Fall. Planted it in the first raised bed I built and harvested it something like 4 times before it bolted in the Spring.

Good Morning Gardeners, was a little cloudy first thing this morning but it's lovely and sunny now. Just got the livestock care and watering done so far but much to get done today, we're hoping for some rain tomorrow so I really want to get the felt bags planted with green onions and carrots. I'm going to try that tight gridwork method I saw somewhere on youtube. I'll be back later, got to was the lettuce for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom