What did you do in the garden today?

OK. Can't help myself! First chicken hatch. 8 more pips on this side of the incubator.

View attachment 2172905

As far as the garden goes: Finished stringing the pole bean structures, and ordered.....

wait for it.....

more pole bean seeds! :lau

One type didn't sprout! So I NEEDED more!
So exciting to see chick pip pictures!
My pole beans didn't come up either! The ground probably has been too cold so far. Will plant again today. I just put in even more veggie starts - cabbages and peppers - and another peony because the "pink" peony I planted (from the nursery's clearance table) late last summer turned out to be white. Must've been a misplaced tag? Oh well, more is better, right??

No peach blossoms this year...:idunno I was hoping this was the year. I transplanted the tree in 2018. I actually began to fruit in the pot I bought it in from Walmart. But the fruit shriveled up and died while still tiny. Then I transplanted it and it's at least tripled its foliage since then. It gets plenty of sun and we get winter weather that puts it through the necessary cold period each year. I haven't fertilized it because it's very close to the chicken run and I figure it gets plenty of nutrients from the chicken run that gets washed down into the soil by rain. I haven't pruned it much so far either as I was letting it grow a bit before beginning to attempt to shape it.
I guess I just hold out hope for next year. I would like to be proactive with it this year if possible though. Anybody have ideas to get a peach tree to blossom and fruit?
My peach tree is fine but my apple trees didn’t blossom this year. I gave all the trees a tree food slow release spike. From what I read apparently if apple trees get too much nitrogen they won’t bloom. So I’m guessing maybe it’s the same for your peach tree.

No peach blossoms this year...:idunno I was hoping this was the year. I transplanted the tree in 2018. I actually began to fruit in the pot I bought it in from Walmart. But the fruit shriveled up and died while still tiny. Then I transplanted it and it's at least tripled its foliage since then. It gets plenty of sun and we get winter weather that puts it through the necessary cold period each year. I haven't fertilized it because it's very close to the chicken run and I figure it gets plenty of nutrients from the chicken run that gets washed down into the soil by rain. I haven't pruned it much so far either as I was letting it grow a bit before beginning to attempt to shape it.
I guess I just hold out hope for next year. I would like to be proactive with it this year if possible though. Anybody have ideas to get a peach tree to blossom and fruit?
If they get too much fertilizer, they won't bloom. Also true for lots of other plants. My wisteria wants crap soil and NO food.

Flowering and fruit is it's normal survival mode. Continually trying to reproduce itself.

Excess nitrogen promotes leaf growth but not fruiting.

OK. Can't help myself! First chicken hatch. 8 more pips on this side of the incubator.
Oh gosh, super cute and congratulations! Thanks for keeping us posted :D

I often think I need sheep, llama's, or donkeys at times like these, but nah, I didn't need to mow for the better part of a year.

Can you borrow or rent? We have a goat rentals over here lol. Maybe borrow a horse. Some people would be stoked to not have to buy feed for a few days. maybe worth a look see.

Of course, because I have a new, unopened bag of all flock. :lau Maybe my neighbor wants it & I'll switch to layer. Thanks.

Because I have a mixed flock I don't like putting out only layer, If I don't have layer available the girls may struggle to get enough calcium even though I have 2 oyster stations and eggshells in the compost that they snack on when I empty into a barrel for them. So I mix my feeds. They get keeper and layer. So far so good. Helps with switching from one to the other also. I don't like to switch dog, cats, horses feed cold turkey ever if can help.

Last post I robbed @NewBoots style. Thanks for that NB. Makes good sense and helpful with responses to collect and reply ;)

Today is a big house cleaning day for me. We leave all of our many windows open year round and I have not done an intense cleaning for a few months. Ugh the dirt :tongue!!!! Plus I have that ant problem that I am getting ready to go to war on.

Another warm one for us. Have not had the heart to ride Hombre in this heat this last week, my only extra time has been during the day it seems. Need to reorganize and reprioritize.

My Pritchardia remota, endemic to Nihoa and Kauai has thrown out its first seed pod!!
I plan to raise and reforest certain areas with their keiki.
20200602_091446.jpg

Wild hen taking advantage again. :barnie12 chicks...:rolleyes: it really is never ending. After trapping last eve, DH took 3 wild pullets to the pasture this morning. Neighborhood is a bit quieter with smaller #'s
20200601_075240.jpg

Big girls being helpful. Need to reconfigure this box before I am in a big hurry and just making due again.
20200530_085408.jpg

k. all, stay safe, warm and well. Aloha!

Oh gosh, super cute and congratulations! Thanks for keeping us posted :D

Can you borrow or rent? We have a goat rentals over here lol. Maybe borrow a horse. Some people would be stoked to not have to buy feed for a few days. maybe worth a look see.

Because I have a mixed flock I don't like putting out only layer, If I don't have layer available the girls may struggle to get enough calcium even though I have 2 oyster stations and eggshells in the compost that they snack on when I empty into a barrel for them. So I mix my feeds. They get keeper and layer. So far so good. Helps with switching from one to the other also. I don't like to switch dog, cats, horses feed cold turkey ever if can help.
I used to have a guy two doors down I could hit up, but now he no longer has the horse or sheep=( Additionally, I would need to speak Spanish to seek out those services and there is only room in my noggin for two languages. Becoming near fluent in German killed most of my French.

Last post I robbed @NewBoots style. Thanks for that NB. Makes good sense and helpful with responses to collect and reply ;)

Today is a big house cleaning day for me. We leave all of our many windows open year round and I have not done an intense cleaning for a few months. Ugh the dirt :tongue!!!! Plus I have that ant problem that I am getting ready to go to war on.

Another warm one for us. Have not had the heart to ride Hombre in this heat this last week, my only extra time has been during the day it seems. Need to reorganize and reprioritize.

My Pritchardia remota, endemic to Nihoa and Kauai has thrown out its first seed pod!!
I plan to raise and reforest certain areas with their keiki.
View attachment 2173487

Wild hen taking advantage again. :barnie12 chicks...:rolleyes: it really is never ending. After trapping last eve, DH took 3 wild pullets to the pasture this morning. Neighborhood is a bit quieter with smaller #'s
View attachment 2173482

Big girls being helpful. Need to reconfigure this box before I am in a big hurry and just making due again.
View attachment 2173481

k. all, stay safe, warm and well. Aloha!
Your "endemic" Pritchardia remota look exactly like our native Sabal Palms. You think someone threw a few coconuts over on the Pacific side in olden times?

I know on occasion I collect some pretty cool "sea beans" from far off places. I have a decent collection of sea hearts and sea hamburgers. I do not plan to ever try and plant them as they are huge and or toxic/venomous/spiny plants.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom