What did you do in the garden today?

@AllenK RGV , Your palm may look fairly similar, as many fan palms do. The Romota is a rare palm, even is/was an endangered species... though the botanical gardens have worked hard to recover seeds, propagate and promote the species. From the Islands of Nihoa and Kauai. Hawaii has like 19 varieties of Pritchardia aka Loulu palm. Let me know if you want some seeds when I can.
Stock photos from Google
View attachment 2174303
No need for those palm seeds. I'll stick with the native Sabal's here. They are critical bat habitat not to mention so many other species use them. The previous homeowner was fascinated with Hawaiian plantings and it mostly isn't either:
a) drought tolerant or
b) doesn't tolerate lows in the mid 40's in winter or the rare freeze. For the most part if it isn't Texas tough I let it die. Then replant with something that either benefits the environment or myself(usually both).
Thank you so very kindly for the thought. The stock image looks nothing like what we grow here, but the juvenile plant you showed looks identical.

The Duranta request... I know it is an introduced weed in Hawaii. I have one and I can only propagate it by air layering. It tries to form seeds but they never fill/fruit out. Hummingbirds and butterflies alike love them for the nectar. Plus we are near its natural range:D Mine I am sure is Duranta erecta.

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. I got all my grass mowed. Yay! I did water the front flower garden a bit, but fortunately we actually got a nice shower that lasted about an hour so it's all good for now. I need to do a little shopping today then try to get a little work done on the run for the baby coop this afternoon. I saw the groundhog sitting up and munching on acorns this morning. Thank goodness for that. The squirrels bailed on me so the chipmunks have been trying to devour as many as possible, but there's just so many of them. The garden is looking good. I thinned the first planting of carrots a bit more and then thinned the second planting of radishes. Congratulations on your successful hatch @Acre4Me. Thank you @NewBoots on the potatoes. I piled the dirt as high as I can but I think I'll have to use some chicken wire and place it around the row of potatoes and fill that with straw and perhaps a little dirt to get them covered properly. The potato plants got pretty big but it seems they grew even more after piling the dirt on them. Have a great day everyone.

Now I feel like I should go back out and scoop up the manure I put around 2 of the 3 apple trees and 2 of the 3 peach trees! I was hoping it would help the overall health of the trees and that in turn would result in some blossoms/fruit, but now it sounds like the opposite is true.
Each fall I clean out my coop and spread the coop compost around the base of my fruit trees. I live in an area where it can get well below zero. My thoughts on this is that it adds a layer of insulation and the compost would produce some heat as it continued to process, and with the trees in their dormant stage, any excess nitrogen would not affect them negatively. I also chip the prunings from my trees and I add a layer of mulch each spring for weed control. I have been doing this for over a decade and with the exception of my peach trees, I get consistent blooms year after year.
If nothing else, it gives me piece of mind and it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

Good morning gardeners. @Acre4Me congrats on a most excellent hatch! I watered today and then did a walk around the yard. The hibiscus is going to bloom! A couple of months ago I was sure I was going to lose it.
20200603_084234.jpg

Rose of Sharon, a hibiscus of course but this one has a different flower. I transplanted about a month ago and it's going to make it I think. It's right at the edge of my compost pile
20200603_084310.jpg

Glads. No blooms yet, I need to read about growing them. My shovel fell over, oopsie. The jalapeno plant has 2 flowers on it so far
20200603_084208.jpg

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the junipers, they look rough. Same for the MBOP I planted recently. We're supposed to be @ 111 today and 112 tomorrow, then drop to less than 100. At least there's a little break and I'm hoping for cool temps overnight. Enjoy your day everyone.

Back
Top Bottom