What did you do in the garden today?

View attachment 2237653
Part of today’s harvest. I can’t believe that giant zucchini was able to hide from me!!🤣
View attachment 2237656A coworker wanted some green tomatoes so she could make fried green tomatoes.
View attachment 2237662This jar/ glass is now filled and overflowing with blackberries. I also have a quart bag with the combined days harvests of strawberries. They are both in the freezer now. I plan to combine them to make a berry jelly. Won’t get enough of either to do just 1 flavor.
The tomatillo plant I showed you guys the other day fell over today. Tomato cage and all! 😳 I had to figure out a new way to support it. I probably could have filled that red bowl with tomatillos!!
I also found a wild tomatillo plant at the edge of our woods yesterday 😳
Complete with small tomatillos. Not sure how it got there. I don’t think previous owners even had a garden and I have never grown them before!
Sure they weren't ground cherries?

OH ya. Phone always. I may not have a signal half the time (thanks Sprint), but I can usually text.

A couple weeks ago, DH was working in the hay shed. He forgot to put on the safety latch on the door. He couldn't call out, but he sent a text to say he was locked in a sweltering box. Took me 5 minutes to get the message, but he was no worse for wear.

I've had the wind lock me in the hen house before too. LOL. They wanted in, it was pouring, and I wanted OUT!

Winds overnight 38-50 mph for several hours.
Moving hay this morning for a while.
I need to get the mower out and mow tomorrow.
Last night 4 qts of chicken soup in the canner.
Today, as many half pints of green beans as I can manage. Plus fresh bread and a large batch of spaghetti sauce, which I will can up the left overs. Slowly the shelf is refilling.

Definitely go with hardware cloth!!! I have lost many chickens and even a couple of turkeys to raccoons reaching through other wire. They literally pull them out piece by piece. 😡🤢
Raccoons can climb so they have even snatched them off of the roost. However most of them were gotten when they decided NOT to sleep on the roost and instead cozied up by the wire to sleep. Sometimes after having gotten down from the roost!
I got to thinking about it some more. I could probably wrap the hardware cloth around the chainlink in long sections and just wire it in place. Then I could re-purpose the hardware cloth for other projects if i go a different route run-wise later.

Just had this for lunch. Hooray for summer salads!
20200711_114217.jpg

Does anyone have any tips for growing in windy areas? I keep trying to get a garden going how ever every year the wind and the drought and killer sun murder my garden. Currently the only things I grow are inside or native plants.
Where are you located....and define Windy.
Caryl -Open Prairieland Nebraska says "wind? - hold my beer"

Does anyone have any tips for growing in windy areas? I keep trying to get a garden going how ever every year the wind and the drought and killer sun murder my garden. Currently the only things I grow are inside or native plants.
Where are you located? It is very hot and windy in Oklahoma in the summers. I teach high school science and usually don't have time to plant a garden until it is too late in the season to do as well as I could. This year, we didn't go back except virtually after spring break. I think soaker hoses or a drip system that keeps you from sunburning your plants when watering helps. We also use this hoop structure made of PVC pipes. Then we can use large binder clips to cover it in insect netting. Keeps a little heat off when it gets really hot. Sometimes over 100 degrees. I haven't put it all the way up yet this year. Just enough to keep chickens out.
JPEG_20200711_134702_7774364359935951453.jpg
JPEG_20200711_134810_7872330488114566086.jpg

Back
Top Bottom