What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. Good gravy it's soupy icky humid this morning.The flower on my okra dried up so I need to water that. We got a very brief shower overnight and perhaps rain this afternoon, but I'll water the potted vegetable plants anyway. I pulled the cabbages this morning and tossed them in the big compost pile. I'm beginning to think the chipmunks were trying to eat the cabbage worms for me. I picked another yellow squash and I thought they were supposed to be crookneck. No, not at all. The zucchini plant is almost as tall as me and 4 times wider and now loaded with baby zukes. I have baby tomatoes and cucumbers. I picked some more peas and bush beans. I only have 3 butternut squash plants but they were happy I removed the cabbage and instantly took over the remainder of the 4 x 8 foot garden bed. I did a little weeding in the backyard around the nasturtiums and carrots. Not much planned for today except for laundry and tending to the chickens. I was disapointed when I coudn't see any cherry tomatoes forming, but then found this little group hiding. Not the best picture. So @AllenK RGV - don't feel bad about venting regarding the coronavirus. Because in the beginning the worst of the virus was clustered around the coasts - east and west, people in the middle states saw very little threat. There are still a lot of people who don't believe it exists. That's not your fault. I feel fortunate that the elected officials in my state have done an excellent job of getting a handle on this thing and have put us on a more positive track. However, I'm in that group of people that has a high risk of death if contracting the virus. So regardless of what is open, I still minimize my exposure to people outside of my Wee Farm bubble. I wear a mask and have hand sanitizer with me when making necessary trips to the store. You can't control what other people are doing, but you can take steps to protect yourself and your family. I hope your neighbor pulls through this and makes a strong recovery. Have a great day everyone.

cherry tomatoes.JPG

cuke.JPG

I do a 2nd round of lettuce for fall. That's about it - we had such a late start to spring my garden isn't even producing yet, never mind a 2nd round!

I've had a pullet take top spot! That bodes well for my mean girl, she's knocked down another rung should she ever go back in with them. I put up saved feed bags around her run so she & the others can't see each other. Maybe some day I'll be able to integrate her. Doubt it, but can't say I haven't tried! & I def won't be sharing pics of my feed bag fence. :lau

@AllenK RGV sorry about your neighbor. Hope it all works out.

Got a couple pics:

2 happy customers (a bee & a butterfly)! I just transplanted & split this echinacea in the spring so I didn't expect much.
IMG_20200713_104109129_HDR.jpg

Brandy Boys are getting big despite the blight.
IMG_20200713_104159176_HDR.jpg

I have 2 green beans!!! :wee
IMG_20200713_104210486.jpg

Something killed a cuke plant. I haven't seen anything die that way, just wilted & gone. Think it's like a vine borer or something??
IMG_20200713_104254194_HDR.jpg

So gardeners I have been speaking my mind and am expecting to become banned from BYC(maybe I am wrong). I have a few friends who may die from this Covid outbreak and do not agree with my governor. I am completely apolitical as is the illness. However, I do not like people who are uninformed breathing down my neck and maskless. I do not know what to say about these folks. I will be voting in November regardless. Honestly, 6 feet of space seemed reasonable before the outbreak. Not like anyone enjoys some pervy males buying beer crawled up on their backside. It could be something cultural though as I live in a part of Texas I do not know well.
I'm right there with you. Our governor graciously allowed and encouraged the rally in Tulsa. Now cases are surging there- big surprise. He will not issue a mask order (or wear one on TV), so mayors like the one in Norman are having to issue their own. Now there is a recall petition to get her fired.

This should not be a political issue. It is a public health issue.

We can open carry here. Without any training.... Sometimes I wish I lived in Washington State or somewhere else the Northwest. Plus I could see my newest nephew!

@Sooner Magnolia - no permit needed to carry there? I live in CT where we have some of the toughest gun laws in the states (thanks in part to Sandy Hook) so it always amazes me how lenient some other places are. I'm licensed to carry here - it's concealed or open once you have your permit in CT, it doesn't matter.
Open carry here no permit either.
CC is with permit.

Open carry here no permit either.
CC is with permit.
Same here. Law enforcement was against the open carry without gun safety training. For obvious reasons and because the gun safety classes were a revenue source for them. Many people still do take the classes even though they aren't required.

Going to the chiropractor today and getting a therapeutic massage. 😊 Not gonna get sweaty working outside before that. FYI-I keep my mask on while face up.

Back
Top Bottom