What did you do in the garden today?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I even got Luffa seeds! šŸ˜³

I havenā€™t had the chance to go through them yet. Dumping them out for the picture was the first time I opened the bag. šŸ¤£ She did just bring it over this evening. Going through them will be a Monday or Tuesday project! Goodnight all!

View attachment 2240849View attachment 2240851View attachment 2240854View attachment 2240858I even got Luffa seeds! šŸ˜³

I havenā€™t had the chance to go through them yet. Dumping them out for the picture was the first time I opened the bag. šŸ¤£ She did just bring it over this evening. Going through them will be a Monday or Tuesday project! Goodnight all!
Wow looks like Christmass! Hope you told her she has always been your favorite child because she sure does get you. I would still be crying after that gift even if it was going to the trash without her rescue.

Last edited:
So gardeners I have been speaking my mind and am expecting to become banned from BYC(maybe I am wrong). I have a few friends who may die from this Covid outbreak and do not agree with my governor. I am completely apolitical as is the illness. However, I do not like people who are uninformed breathing down my neck and maskless. I do not know what to say about these folks. I will be voting in November regardless. Honestly, 6 feet of space seemed reasonable before the outbreak. Not like anyone enjoys some pervy males buying beer crawled up on their backside. It could be something cultural though as I live in a part of Texas I do not know well.

Last edited:
So gardeners I have been speaking my mind and am expecting to become banned from BYC(maybe I am wrong). I have a few friends who may die from this Covid outbreak and do not agree with my governor. I am completely apolitical as is the illness. However, I do not like people who are uninformed breathing down my neck and maskless. I do not know what to say about these folks. I will be voting in November regardless. Honestly, 6 feet of space seemed reasonable before the outbreak. Not like anyone enjoys some pervy males buying beer crawled up on their backside. It could be something cultural though as I live in a part of Texas I do not know well.
A few thoughts;

I had to chuckle that you came to the Gardening Section of BYC to complain to gardeners that you think you might get banned for some silly nonsense about the COVID.

I am extremely informed and only wear a mask when I Bush Hawg (keeps the dust and grass out of my respiratory system)

I'll agree that 6 foot of distance is good. Most people stay away from me anyway.

Can you open carry in Texas?

Our garden is producing like crazy! Time to start canning!

A few thoughts;

I had to chuckle that you came to the Gardening Section of BYC to complain to gardeners that you think you might get banned for some silly nonsense about the COVID.

I am extremely informed and only wear a mask when I Bush Hawg (keeps the dust and grass out of my respiratory system)

I'll agree that 6 foot of distance is good. Most people stay away from me anyway.

Can you open carry in Texas?

Our garden is producing like crazy! Time to start canning!
Im pretty sure we can open carry here. But my maleness would prevent me from strapping my .22 on my back. Hey it is enough for raccoons.

Edit- I also doubt my drivel will ever get me banned!

I am envious that your garden is going crazy. Just like you will be when mine takes off in November.

Dead people are not silly nonsence regarding Covid these are folks I know and have bonds with. We share tools with each other and offer each other help like neighbors.

Maybe I wasn't clear but my next door neighbor is laid up in the hospital. I hope he is fine his wife told us he isn't in the ICU but still I am worried about him tonight. It really isn't fair that I lash out at you regarding this.

Last edited:
Hey, ya gotta vent somewhere!

I SHOULD wear a mask when I cut brush, mow, clean the stalls, clean the hay shed/chicken coop/"fill in the dirty spot here", but I can't breathe. I don't get enough oxygen through any of them when doing heavy work, and despite what they all say, none work well with glasses or stay on properly. I'm legally blind without my glasses, so taking them off is NOT an option.

Anyway - anyone else having trouble with sunscreens this year? I was using sunscreen left over from last summer, but they weren't working even with repeated applications. SO I tossed them and bought fresh. I'm on can #3 and none of them work well AT ALL. 4 hours on the mower yesterday and I look like I belong laying on a plate with a bowl of butter next to me. These are the big names too Coppertone, Aussie Gold, and Banana Boat. Those are ones I KNOW I don't have allergies to.

I swear it's the sprays, which are nice to apply if you are alone, but I don't think have the coverage power needed to really work in the real world.

I'm going to drive into the city this week, maybe I'll make it to Trader Joes. I've heard good things about their brand.

On the garden front, I watered long and deep yesterday while a mowed (read - I turned it irrigation on and forgot about it while I mowed.)

The 5 week old pullets; louise, tina, aunt gale, linda, annie, ollie, and edith have spent the last week free-ranging out with the big girls during the day and have been going back to their little cage in the shop at night. They never ranged very far as the world is a big and scary place. They were very happy in their patch of 18 inch high uncut hay with the patio umbrella over it. Come lock in time last night I had DS toss them in the BIG GIRL run for the night.

The big girls ignored them, while they excitedly ran around the run and coop exploring like kids on Christmas morning. Then came roosting time. The Big Girls and the Roo all took to their normal spots while the babies continues to play. We put the security camera on live and put it on the big screen in the livingroom and kicked back to watch.

As the sun set, the littles chirped their little heads off, not knowing were to settle for the night. They tried everywhere. It was like the chicken version of Goldie Locks in there. At one point they snuggled on a perch directly BELOW the Roo. I swear the whole line of hens above them, looked at the rooster and said "OH HELL NO!" The whole row of hens and the roo, smashed clear over to the left window to NOT be near the noisy things. Then the whole group of littles got up and danced around the coop, pinging from floor to bars, to the floor, to the nest boxes, to the floor, before racing out to the run roosts.

Outside I have three big girls that ALWAYS sleep out there. Astrid the Icelandic has a spot on a birch branch, and Amy and Bernadette- who share a brain- sleep on a horizontal ladder. The three sat snuggled in their spots, cautiously watching the hyper ping pong balls bounce around their zone. The littles were up, down, up, around, over, through, dancing in the food trough, climbing the ladders, playing on the swings, inside and outside, up and down again. They finally figured out if they climbed the ladder, they could jump on the big birch branches. From there they could jump up to the horizontal ladder, which of course moved Amy and Bernadette. From there it was just a hop skip and jump to try to take over Astrid's branch.

Ever though of stealing property from a Viking? Ya, well the littles hadn't figured that one out yet. I mean, she certainly can't NEED the WHOLE branch, it's 5 feet long! Well she does. The littles made it up there, but Astrid kept creeping closer and closer to them until they only took up 12 inches of the branch, at which point she kept poking them in the head. I sent DS out to move her in the coop.

The littles managed just fine, even though Astrid took her spot on the perch shortly after dawn. The littles are down off the perch and scratching about and finding out the ROOSTERS are LOUD in person! I'll let the whole group back out around lunch to free-range again and see how the two groups split up and go ranging. Now it's time for the littles to learn the big house is home and to go in when called. Herding chickens is, well, like herding chickens.
20200713_052538.jpg

Have a great day all!

Last edited:
Good morning ! Was away for the weekend , so much catching up to do here in my garden and also on this thread :D Started pulling the wax bean plants , got one row pulled , two more to go . Picked through them one last time and got another 10-12 pints worth I estimate . Also picked 4 zucchini . Cucumbers are still about a week out . Lots of yellow squash but still too small . Tomatoes are loaded , still green but some are turning . I'll try to get the rest of the wax beans pulled today and till up that section and start getting the green beans in . Have a great day folks .

Back
Top Bottom