What did you do in the garden today?

My beefsteak tomato plants are monsters! Just dropped the netting to do some creative tying and thinning
20200712_130656.jpg
as they are taller than the hoop frame. I have never had this much luck with them. We did a better job amending the soil plus the coronavirus head start I suppose. Sorry, this feels like bragging.....
20200712_130240.jpg

I had one group actually two that where eaten to the ground have some in other tires they may make it as a second crop .. Please how did winter your over the full stock in there
Winter is a useful growing season for us they(brussel sprouts) did great and still were stressed by the heat during it. We managed to gump out some baby carrots and a few peas over winter. I am still wondering where my pineapples are at they are 18 months old now and should be tossing up fruits, but are adamantly refusing. One appears to have a thick throat suggesting it will fruit soon, but my sleuthing reveals nada at this time.

I have, thanks to you folks, a bunch of peppers and blooms galore.
So jealous, still getting the hang of peppers and I find that as I get older I want spicy stuff more and more.
What a pretty boy! And I'm with @AllenK RGV, I envy your horse poop. :)
Last year the pepper plants on my deck did very well, and the garden ones did only so-so. This year it’s the reverse-my garden ones are doing very well and the deck one’s only so-so.
That's how my luck with tomatoes goes, some years better in pots, this year, way better in the raised beds.
I sprayed an epsom salts solution on my Roma tomatoes and pole beans yesterday and this morning they were looking quite perky and healthier.
I know folks here have talked about that before but I finally looked this up so now it's on my shopping list. :)
Big storms here overnight. We lost power about 3AM, but they had it restored by 8:30 this morning.
Glad you got it back so quickly.
Morning all. Heading out to mow for a few hours. In case you missed it.
oooo, that's the comet! We'll have to try and get a look at it from here. We get some pretty clear nights so we might get to see it.

@Sooner Magnolia those tomatoes are awesome and I would sure as heck be bragging if they were mine! :highfive:

Got the watering done and the critters seen to. The pullets are still nervous as can be but seem to be getting a little calmer. I pitchforked some of the bulky material out of the run as well as the uneaten melon and zucchini skins, and corn cobs. Threw that stuff into the compost bin then pitchforked what was left to open it up and make it interesting to the girls again. It stays so dry in the run, I might add a tiny bit of water to make sure I an getting some composting action.

Hung up the garlic to finish hardening off, I should have the shallots done today or tomorrow. The shallots are currently drying in the rows. Dug a small bucket of potatoes late yesterday, they're on the small side but since it's our first shot at potatoes, we're happy. Maybe bake some and make baked potato salad.

I'll rearrange how I plant the summer and winter squash next year, the winters need more room than they have now, I'm going to end up with some of the winters lying in the isles between the raised beds.

Remember to put enough spacing in separate beds for the squash. I planted winter squash in the bed right next to the summer squash bed last year and apparently this confuses the pollen. The summer squash did ok but the winter squash was a sad, small harvest.
Dang I never even thought about that. Yeah, they are all in the same bed. :he

Back
Top Bottom