What did you do in the garden today?

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
I've noticed myself @Compost King that slow cooking tones down the heat in peppers quite a bit.
I noticed that I can sense the heat but its not stingy heat anymore, its like a really pleasant spice. And I can tell how intense the heat was before it was toned down by slow cooking. I can tell the pepper that seasoned my beans was an intense heat pepper. Its really hard to explained and this pepper was slow cooked twice, once to make broth, and a 2nd time to cook the beans.

karenerwin

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Cedar Hill, Missouri
@Sooner Magnolia here is the Carrot Cake Jam recipe I used:

2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup shredded peeled pear
1 20 oz can unsweetened crushed pineapple ( In pineapple juice)
2 TBSP lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 package powdered pectin ( I use the low sugar variety)
4 cups sugar ( I used 1 1/2 cups sugar)
2 cups packed brown sugar ( I used 1 cup packed brown sugar)
1/4 cup flaked coconut and/or raisins (optional) I made 1 batch with both and 1 batch with neither
1 tsp vanilla
In a large (4-6 qt) heavy pot combine the carrots, pears, pineapple with the juice, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Simmer covered for 20 minutes stirring frequently (until pears are soft). Sprinkle pectin over mixture and stir to dissolve. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add both sugars. Return to a full rolling boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat. Skim off foam (mine didn't have any). Stir in coconut and/or raisins, if using. Stir in vanilla.
Ladle into hot, sterile jars. remove air bubbles. Wipe rims and center hot lids. Screw on rings finger tight. Water bath for 10 minutes.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
No gardening for me right now. I'm waiting for my son who is taking his driver's test. Haven't decided if I'm ready for him to pass or not LOL, but he has a good head on his shoulders.
Sorry he didn’t get it this time!

my youngest has already crashed the car, at age 12:rolleyes:.....in our driveway. Dad said “here, back up the van into the parking spot”. This was at our home, In front of the barn (behind our house). The van needed to be backed up, while turning, into the spot. So, too much gas, and not quite a tight enough turn and kid knocked out the old basketball pole, and crushed (yes...crushed) theCAST IRON fire pit. So, kid has been informed that theyalready took their free pass with that one, and cannot crash the car when they get their License. Of course, we get the eye roll when we mention this incident.

good luck in his next test.

B40chick

Songster
May 23, 2020
Southwest Georgia, USA
Gosh it is hot! I picked butterbeans. Chickens were checking the garden out. I put a couple of worms that were on my plants right in front of them and they didn't touch it. So much for them being pest control.
So organic gardeners, little caterpillars are chewing up my leaves. I put out DE to see if that would help. I don't want to use pesticide in case any of my chickens decide to eat anything.
What else can I use?

karenerwin

Free Ranging
7 Years
Jun 11, 2013
Cedar Hill, Missouri
Gosh it is hot! I picked butterbeans. Chickens were checking the garden out. I put a couple of worms that were on my plants right in front of them and they didn't touch it. So much for them being pest control.
So organic gardeners, little caterpillars are chewing up my leaves. I put out DE to see if that would help. I don't want to use pesticide in case any of my chickens decide to eat anything.
What else can I use?
Many people on here use a soap water spray.

MrLeeHo

Chirping
May 28, 2020
NC
What else can I use?

You can try either a garlic or pepper spray. Most things that eat the leaves won't like it. I know it works on mites. Lots of difference recipes, but basically simmer about 1tblsp of cayenne powder or crushed garlic (or both) per cup of water. Add about a tsp of dawn per cup and you can also add a drizzle of veg oil. The only problem is you will need to respray anytime it rains or if you water from above.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
What else can I use?
Buy Bt spray - listed as a caterpillar killer. The Bt stands for the genus and species name of the bacterium that is bad for the caterpillars to eat, but safe for all non-caterpillars including pets and humans. I believe it is considered an organic approach to the common cabbage moth and tomato hornworm as very common garden pests, but the package lists more pests that are impacted.

Top Bottom