What did you do in the garden today?

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morning gardeners. Hot and humid yesterday. Already had a shower move through this morning. What's left of Isaias will be moving through starting around noon today. Hopefully the wind is not too bad. It's just not been a good year for the garden. That is unless you are using tons of chemicals (I'm not talking about the organic stuff). I just can't do that. The whole point of raising vegetables is to have them chemical free. Next year I need to plan better for getting the bug repelling plants in the ground. I picked a zucchini this morning and a few small bell peppers. I had expected to pick 2 cucumbers, however all I found was one of the stems attached to the vine. I'm sure it was a squirrel. So no cukes today. There were 3 half ripe cherry tomatoes on the vine so I picked them. At least the squirrel won't get them. They will be fine in a couple of days. If I don't have enough cucumbers for a batch of pickles by the end of the week I will likely hit the farmstand down the road. Your yellow squash looks nice @Sueby. My yellow squash plant is not doing all that well. I am getting a zucchini nearly everyday though. Good luck with the chick shipment @Acre4Me. I did manage to get a couple of house plants transplanted yesterday. Not much else going on, just waiting for this tropical storm to pass through. Have a great day everyone.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Good luck with the chick shipment @Acre4Me.

Thanks! I just checked tracking. they WERE shipped yesterday, but good 'ol USPS didn't update until HOURS after the package was received. So, 16 hours ago they arrived (Express) in MN, and no other updates. I think this will be the case where I get a call to get chicks and then hours later the tracking will be updated to say they are available for pickup, all the while the (hopefully alive) chicks will have been in my possession. :rolleyes:

MrLeeHo

Chirping
May 28, 2020
NC
Picked a few tomatoes that I wouldve liked to have left on the vine another couple of days but thanks to all the rain from the hurricane they started splitting. One tomato fell off the vine presumably from the hard rain, was ripe enough to eat for lunch atleast. Main vine from the squash plant snapped from the downpour, it had about 6 squash growing on it...chicken food and compost now.
85AB58C1-51F5-4EA2-A72E-9406753CC867.jpeg

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Thanks! I just checked tracking. they WERE shipped yesterday, but good 'ol USPS didn't update until HOURS after the package was received. So, 16 hours ago they arrived (Express) in MN, and no other updates. I think this will be the case where I get a call to get chicks and then hours later the tracking will be updated to say they are available for pickup, all the while the (hopefully alive) chicks will have been in my possession. :rolleyes:
I had a similar experience recently. My eggs were supposed to arrive Friday, Wednesday I got the text they would delivered that day with no updates in between. Then I got the delivered text 2 hours after they were in my incubator.

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Good afternoon gardeners. I managed to get almost everything watered before work. Most of the succulents in pots on my patio have died from the heat even though they're in the shade :rantI just don't have a place inside to put them that's safe from kids, dogs or bunnies so I'm giving up. Whatever doesn't make it isn't being replaced. No relief in sight from the heat and no rain in our forecast. Yesterday I put a block of ice in one of the wading pools for the chickens; by dusk the pool was completely dry so I waited until after work today to put one out. The chicks are growing so fast I'm worried they'll outgrow the brooder before the temps are cool enough to leave them outside. That's about it. I'm making taquitos for dinner, need to get busy. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

TropicalBabies

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Hawaii
Aloha garden gang,
If only you folks could bottle some of these warm days and then open them mid winter ;). Thank goodness for freezer doors and ice cubes!!!
Us guys will be in the 90's all week w/ 60% or higher humidity. We have some clouds and sprinkles spilling over the mountains right now and that is awesome/helpful. Garden is hanging despite the shade and watering and I don't blame it, it is warm. I do have a few surprise eggplants despite the heat and hang. The papaya's and banana's I planted a few weeks ago are doing very well. Plan to yank what is left of my garden this week and start amending the garden box soil this next month. Come on fall!!!! I am pleasantly surprised that my chickens are all doing ok with the heat so far, such troopers :love They love the water I run under the trees for them in the afternoons and the bugs that that scares up. Good girls and boys.

I took the dog for a nice walk down the beach this morning. I watered the lawn and washed the trucks inside and out earlier, my plan is to wax MY truck ;) as soon as threat of sprinkles passes then find a good movie and nap/pass out from the heat. I have been getting some good headaches this last week. Maybe heat, maybe need neck stretches, maybe need to cut my hair, probably all the above :p .
I have some of our nice fruit in the freezer and enough kale to make an awesome smoothie b4 i head out.
20200801_064144.jpg
IMG_20180908_101351931_HDR.jpg

I leave you with a cute picture of handsome Cisco and 2nd to the last hatch of my babies. Have an awesome day all, stay safe and well.

Secondof9

Songster
Jun 20, 2018
SE of Seattle WA
Watered, weeded, picked another zucchini a couple of carrots, blueberries, raspberries and a few cherry tomatoes. The Early Girl tomatoes are still solid green in spite of our hot weather lately. Guess they're not so early after all. Also finished getting the dry (been piled under a plastic sheet for nearly a year) firewood into the shed...took a couple of hours but feels good to have that task done!
:D

Sooner Magnolia

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 13, 2014
Central Oklahoma
'll
Poor kid, is he upset? Thankfully my mom voluntarily gave up driving & they traded both their cars in for just 1. Such a relief knowing we don't have to fight that fight trying to take it away.
Here's fine since he can blame it on his instrument panel LOL. The mom's aren't that bad. Mine is too cautious and his isn't quite cautious enough. Neither are bad enough to hide keys from.

Top Bottom