What did you do in the garden today?

I'm starting to think its about time to start my "Mortgage Lifter" tomatoes for their overwintering but in the shade of the carport. 10A is something I am having issues getting timed out right. I have fresh potting soil for about 5+ 15 gallon containers it is still a solid 2 months out before it starts cooling enough to get decent sets out of tomatoes.

Is there additional soil amendments people recommend? I have straight potting soil mixed with a manure based amendment in mind.

I'm starting to think its about time to start my "Mortgage Lifter" tomatoes for their overwintering but in the shade of the carport. 10A is something I am having issues getting timed out right. I have fresh potting soil for about 5+ 15 gallon containers it is still a solid 2 months out before it starts cooling enough to get decent sets out of tomatoes.

Is there additional soil amendments people recommend? I have straight potting soil mixed with a manure based amendment in mind.
@AllenK RGV

Tomatoes like a neutral PH soil and thrive with lots of nutrients. If you have access to a composted soil to add to your potting soil that would help. We mostly do raise bed gardening but every year we plant some containers with various veggies and experiment.

Miracle Gro has some very good mixes and we used their Expand N Gro potting soil and added some Bone Meal, Peat Moss, Perlite and Epson Salts to the mix and the tomatoes did well.

Any soil that will hold moisture is good, just make sure your manure is not "hot". Good luck

No rain forecasted, and mid-70s!!

no chicks yet.:( USPS likely fail...AGAIN. Oh, and NO tracking updates since Monday evening when the USPS received them :rolleyes:. I’m expecting to get dead chicks, and have to file a USPS claim for a refund on “Express” shipping I paid for. However, we will see what happens, maybe they will be alive and healthy, and arrive today.

going to plant cucumber seeds today, maybe get some pickling cucumbers before the weather turns.

Morning all. Just a quick check in after the hurricane - we have no power or internet & I have no good cell service to speak of. Trees are down everywhere, we have a high voltage line down in our yard & a big tree. We will likely be days without power, if we're lucky. DH had to take the Case tractor out & clear the road since we live on a cul-de-sac, no one could get in or out.

Anyway, cleared the bird netting on the run so the girls could go back out. Surveyed the garden damage, lost a few bean vines & a few tomato branches but not bad at all!

I sprayed neem & insecticide soap this am, Im def seeing less squash & cucumber bugs. Thankfully.

I'll have to catch up later, this page won't load fully because of the ads. I'll be back when internet is back.

Hope everyone in the path of this storm is safe! Have a great day all!

No rain forecasted, and mid-70s!!

no chicks yet.:( USPS likely fail...AGAIN. Oh, and NO tracking updates since Monday evening when the USPS received them :rolleyes:. I’m expecting to get dead chicks, and have to file a USPS claim for a refund on “Express” shipping I paid for. However, we will see what happens, maybe they will be alive and healthy, and arrive today.

going to plant cucumber seeds today, maybe get some pickling cucumbers before the weather turns.
I bet they still arrive just fine. My last order of chicks I pretty much only got the delivery statement for tracking. :flIf it helps the Postmaster general got a good roasting recently on the Hill. He has special delivery interests with other parcel delivery services and is adding stress to our postal system as it has resisted privatization efforts for all of these years.

In a few months we get to vote those crooks out for a new set of crooks. If you get bored youtube the hearings.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom