What did you do in the garden today?

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
Good morning gardeners. I hope your storm clean-up goes well @Sueby. I think the worst part of that Tropical Storm were the rapid fire tornado warnings. It was all moving so fast the rotational cell was already overhead when you got the warning and gone by the time you could react. That was so stressful. The garden survived pretty much unscathed. I picked 3 hungarian peppers, a zucchini, 4 big green beans, two okra and a cherry tomato. Knock on wood, but I do think I can get the weed whacking done in the big garden today. There are some more blooms on my pole beans so I should be getting them in soon. I will keep my remarks about the USPS brief. They are just ordinary people, government workers doing the best job they can with what they have to work with. They have dealt with a lot of changes and hardships over the past 10 to 15 years and just keep on doing the best they can to hang onto their jobs to feed their families. I'm sure they recognize the problems with their "organization" but they have no power to make changes and just have to suck it up to remain employed. So please be kind and be glad you don't have to work under those conditions. Have a great day everyone.

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Yeah, it wasn't leaking steam, the pop up had popped (which according to the instruction means it was at or close to 15) but the gauge never budged from 0. But the fact is I'm still pretty new to canning so who knows?
is this a canner or cooker? Cookers have a switch over knob to shut off the steam flow.
Take it to your local extension, they'll figure it out.

Backyard Hencam

Songster
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 27, 2009
California Central Coast
I've been reading what you all are doing in your gardens and feel ashamed at my meager dabbling. As I meander through my garden this morning, coffee in hand, I see that some things need attending too. Lack of water has been an issue, so much of the squash has been stunted.
Tomatoes look great but are still green. Cool weather along the ocean here makes tomatoes arrive late.
Soon as I get my gardening digs on, I'll be out with the hose. Thanks for inspiring me!

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
I've been reading what you all are doing in your gardens and feel ashamed at my meager dabbling. As I meander through my garden this morning, coffee in hand, I see that some things need attending too. Lack of water has been an issue, so much of the squash has been stunted.
Tomatoes look great but are still green. Cool weather along the ocean here makes tomatoes arrive late.
Soon as I get my gardening digs on, I'll be out with the hose. Thanks for inspiring me!
Welcome to the thread. You have nothing to be ashamed of. Gardens come in all sizes. You work with what you have.

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Lol and this was before my time but you could mail order houses from the Sears catalog I once heard!
TOTALLY could! I have an 1880s catalog here....and a home ordering book as well.....hang on....brb.
BTW my great aunt mailed an orange to her other neice in the early 1900s. glued a stamp on and a label and off it went. No box, no anything. Just an orange. LOL.
This is from my 1908 catalog. My late 1800s one is Monkey/Ward.
I also have a reprint book of all the mail order houses available from over the years, but it wasn't obvious on my shelves this morning (ie I didn't put it away in the right spot) and every time I bent over to look harder, my sinus' tried to explode. You could also buy just the plans for $100 and source the materials locally. I love looking for these old houses on my travels. They were usually within a few miles of the old rail lines as that's how they were delivered.

20200805_093055.jpg

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Good morning gardeners. I hope your storm clean-up goes well @Sueby. I think the worst part of that Tropical Storm were the rapid fire tornado warnings. It was all moving so fast the rotational cell was already overhead when you got the warning and gone by the time you could react. That was so stressful. The garden survived pretty much unscathed. I picked 3 hungarian peppers, a zucchini, 4 big green beans, two okra and a cherry tomato. Knock on wood, but I do think I can get the weed whacking done in the big garden today. There are some more blooms on my pole beans so I should be getting them in soon. I will keep my remarks about the USPS brief. They are just ordinary people, government workers doing the best job they can with what they have to work with. They have dealt with a lot of changes and hardships over the past 10 to 15 years and just keep on doing the best they can to hang onto their jobs to feed their families. I'm sure they recognize the problems with their "organization" but they have no power to make changes and just have to suck it up to remain employed. So please be kind and be glad you don't have to work under those conditions. Have a great day everyone.
Just for future reference, in a tropical system, never wait on the tornado warnings. They can't come fast enough. Always expect quickly developing and moving spin ups in the NW side of a tropical system.

Soapbox away.... LOL.

ChickenCanoe

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Good morning gardeners. I hope your storm clean-up goes well @Sueby.
... I will keep my remarks about the USPS brief. They are just ordinary people, government workers doing the best job they can with what they have to work with. They have dealt with a lot of changes and hardships over the past 10 to 15 years and just keep on doing the best they can to hang onto their jobs to feed their families. I'm sure they recognize the problems with their "organization" but they have no power to make changes and just have to suck it up to remain employed. So please be kind and be glad you don't have to work under those conditions. ...
I couldn't agree more. My neighbor who lives across the street from me just retired from the post office working at our main post office downtown (a huge facility) for 14 years. That is after she served 30 years in the military. She just couldn't handle it any more.

My oldest sister was actually a postmaster at her local tiny post office for several years. I guess that's the title you get when you are the only employee in a remote rural facility.

Last edited:

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
Just for future reference, in a tropical system, never wait on the tornado warnings. They can't come fast enough. Always expect quickly developing and moving spin ups in the NW side of a tropical system.

Soapbox away.... LOL.
Always expect those on the NE side luckily they don't get to central and midwestern sized things. We are built for those EF0-1 things here. Not bragging just being realistic about building codes and the trees do not respect it one bit. Roofing materials will still fail but the structure will not. www.Tornadohq.com is the best real time tracker I have found for those tornadoes. Or the local NWS site. Cell phones don't give timely warnings.

Our codes require hurricane strapping at nearly every joint. I had never seen that before living near the coast. I lived a long time in tornado alley and it would been reasonable there too. Just a carport/porch leg as an example 2008 code(upgraded since then) back then a couple of 4x4's was ok with this thin roll out steel stuff. :
IMG_6933.JPG

Last edited:

MrLeeHo

Chirping
May 28, 2020
NC

Soapbox away.... LOL.
I couldn't agree more, we lived on the NC coast for about 10 years and had many "Hurricane Days". We essentially treated the entire day as a tornado warning, holed up in our safest room with flashlights handy and usually spent the time playing board games waiting for the roar outside to pass.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
AMAZING! Chicks are here! All alive! I’ll give them gro-gel when I get home. Since I didn’t get a call earlier this am, I figured my only other chance was the slim one with a 430pm delivery -which only occasionally happens (I asked yesterday) . So 7 breeds, 1 mystery chick. All males -16 chicks should be in here.
0BF65C45-4D01-426E-8FD8-4FBCDF2EACFF.jpeg

Top Bottom