What did you do in the garden today?

AllenK RGV

Chicken Addict
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2017
Deep South Texas Laureles,TX 10A
AMAZING! Chicks are here! All alive! I’ll give them gro-gel when I get home. Since I didn’t get a call earlier this am, I figured my only other chance was the slim one with a 430pm delivery -which only occasionally happens (I asked yesterday) . So 7 breeds, 1 mystery chick. All males -16 chicks should be in here. View attachment 2277361
Woohoo, now you have to tell us more about the mix you ordered. It is obligatory now.

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
AMAZING! Chicks are here! All alive! I’ll give them gro-gel when I get home. Since I didn’t get a call earlier this am, I figured my only other chance was the slim one with a 430pm delivery -which only occasionally happens (I asked yesterday) . So 7 breeds, 1 mystery chick. All males -16 chicks should be in here. View attachment 2277361
The last thing that black and white one in the top corner needs is GROW gel! I think it might have eaten a few of the other chicks! LOL

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Breeds we ordered (all males):

Buttercup
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Speckled Sussex
Partidge Rock
Buff Brahma
Black Langshans
Columbian Wyandotte
Surprise chick

They are under a heat plate right now, and have grow gel, water, and feed. They are eating, and chirping with gusto! Our plan is to put them under a broody tonight. She has been broody for about 3 weeks, and we've had her in the brooder for the last 5 days. But, she is unproven (never mothered chicks before), so its always a concern. But, we will put chicks under her after it is dark and hope she accepts them.

WthrLady

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 24, 2014
WestOak, Nebraska
Breeds we ordered (all males):

Buttercup
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Speckled Sussex
Partidge Rock
Buff Brahma
Black Langshans
Columbian Wyandotte
Surprise chick

They are under a heat plate right now, and have grow gel, water, and feed. They are eating, and chirping with gusto! Our plan is to put them under a broody tonight. She has been broody for about 3 weeks, and we've had her in the brooder for the last 5 days. But, she is unproven (never mothered chicks before), so its always a concern. But, we will put chicks under her after it is dark and hope she accepts them.
Is that black and yellow giant surprise I'm an ostrich???

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Is that black and yellow giant surprise I'm an ostrich???
I think it is a Black Langshan! But, they are the biggest of the bunch!! Their feathered legs add to the bulk!

they are also very talkative....way more than mixed chicks. They have heat, and are warm. They are drinking water really well, and are chowing down on grow gel and chick crumble! I’ve had to replenish the crumble 3x - they seem to be eating like teen boys!! Not sure where they are putting it all...there are hardly any crumbles scattered. A fair amount of poop, of course, but they are on puppy pee pads so it’s obvious.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Our mystery chick could be a Salmon Faverolle or Sultan. It has feathered legs and 5 toes. My guess is SF, looks like single comb. Has a couple of small spots- one on head, one on back. Assume male bc my order is all male. However, chick fluff is almost entirely yellow, and doesn’t quite match online pics.
D5914089-91C2-40F5-9C99-274E946B54CF.jpeg
6F0806BA-4B5A-4704-94FA-9AFE187EE7BC.jpeg
A73B79BB-E6D7-4021-8F44-F1019ABCF860.jpeg

Wee Farmer Sarah

Crossing the Road
Oct 8, 2018
North Central Massachusetts
I couldn't agree more, we lived on the NC coast for about 10 years and had many "Hurricane Days". We essentially treated the entire day as a tornado warning, holed up in our safest room with flashlights handy and usually spent the time playing board games waiting for the roar outside to pass.
Spent quite a few years living in NC near Fayetteville. Spent more than a few hours hunkering down in the bathroom or laying in a ditch. There you could see them coming or feel the pressure change in my ears. Here I have very old trees that block my view. But the winds usually blow overhead, not at ground level.

Compost King

Free Ranging
Apr 19, 2018
Salisbury, North Carolina
Today in the Garden I was planting the rooted cut end of onions (while I was veg prepping and cutting meat) I stuck my hand in the soil to make holes to plant Onions, no problem I will just wash my hands after touching my nice clean organic soil then I found something that seemed kinda rotty (wordsmith alert). I pulled it out trying to figure out what it was and how it got there because I went through this soil (100% chicken compost) before adding it to my raised bed. Then I got a good whiff of it. Cat Poop... I love cats but I hate their poop! it was all over my left hand... and I was in the middle of making a meal. I had to do more than just wash my hands I had to scrub and sanitize them! I used soap first, then my hand still stunk... then I used Degreaser, scrubbed it with a green scrubby and washed that off (10 minutes gone buy and I am in the middle of a cook)... the smell was still there, then I soaked my hand in bleach (both of them but just the left hand had the odor issue) ... I scrubbed the hands after the soak and rinsed... Rinsing took a long time and the odor was gone

The big question I have... is there a substance that cats will smell and not poop in my raised bed? I am using other methods like providing (another) outdoor litter box.

Fences do not stop cats unless you invest heavily in them, and fences keep gardeners out of the garden even if they say it wouldn't. Weeds and pests loves fences as a gardener will not be in there as often to stop either.

Top Bottom