What did you do in the garden today?

Good morning gardeners. I hope your storm clean-up goes well @Sueby.
... I will keep my remarks about the USPS brief. They are just ordinary people, government workers doing the best job they can with what they have to work with. They have dealt with a lot of changes and hardships over the past 10 to 15 years and just keep on doing the best they can to hang onto their jobs to feed their families. I'm sure they recognize the problems with their "organization" but they have no power to make changes and just have to suck it up to remain employed. So please be kind and be glad you don't have to work under those conditions. ...
I couldn't agree more. My neighbor who lives across the street from me just retired from the post office working at our main post office downtown (a huge facility) for 14 years. That is after she served 30 years in the military. She just couldn't handle it any more.

My oldest sister was actually a postmaster at her local tiny post office for several years. I guess that's the title you get when you are the only employee in a remote rural facility.

Last edited:
Just for future reference, in a tropical system, never wait on the tornado warnings. They can't come fast enough. Always expect quickly developing and moving spin ups in the NW side of a tropical system.

Soapbox away.... LOL.
Always expect those on the NE side luckily they don't get to central and midwestern sized things. We are built for those EF0-1 things here. Not bragging just being realistic about building codes and the trees do not respect it one bit. Roofing materials will still fail but the structure will not. www.Tornadohq.com is the best real time tracker I have found for those tornadoes. Or the local NWS site. Cell phones don't give timely warnings.

Our codes require hurricane strapping at nearly every joint. I had never seen that before living near the coast. I lived a long time in tornado alley and it would been reasonable there too. Just a carport/porch leg as an example 2008 code(upgraded since then) back then a couple of 4x4's was ok with this thin roll out steel stuff. :
IMG_6933.JPG

Last edited:
Just for future reference, in a tropical system, never wait on the tornado warnings. They can't come fast enough. Always expect quickly developing and moving spin ups in the NW side of a tropical system.

Soapbox away.... LOL.
I couldn't agree more, we lived on the NC coast for about 10 years and had many "Hurricane Days". We essentially treated the entire day as a tornado warning, holed up in our safest room with flashlights handy and usually spent the time playing board games waiting for the roar outside to pass.

AMAZING! Chicks are here! All alive! I’ll give them gro-gel when I get home. Since I didn’t get a call earlier this am, I figured my only other chance was the slim one with a 430pm delivery -which only occasionally happens (I asked yesterday) . So 7 breeds, 1 mystery chick. All males -16 chicks should be in here.
0BF65C45-4D01-426E-8FD8-4FBCDF2EACFF.jpeg

AMAZING! Chicks are here! All alive! I’ll give them gro-gel when I get home. Since I didn’t get a call earlier this am, I figured my only other chance was the slim one with a 430pm delivery -which only occasionally happens (I asked yesterday) . So 7 breeds, 1 mystery chick. All males -16 chicks should be in here. View attachment 2277361
Woohoo, now you have to tell us more about the mix you ordered. It is obligatory now.

AMAZING! Chicks are here! All alive! I’ll give them gro-gel when I get home. Since I didn’t get a call earlier this am, I figured my only other chance was the slim one with a 430pm delivery -which only occasionally happens (I asked yesterday) . So 7 breeds, 1 mystery chick. All males -16 chicks should be in here. View attachment 2277361
The last thing that black and white one in the top corner needs is GROW gel! I think it might have eaten a few of the other chicks! LOL

Breeds we ordered (all males):

Buttercup
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Speckled Sussex
Partidge Rock
Buff Brahma
Black Langshans
Columbian Wyandotte
Surprise chick

They are under a heat plate right now, and have grow gel, water, and feed. They are eating, and chirping with gusto! Our plan is to put them under a broody tonight. She has been broody for about 3 weeks, and we've had her in the brooder for the last 5 days. But, she is unproven (never mothered chicks before), so its always a concern. But, we will put chicks under her after it is dark and hope she accepts them.

Breeds we ordered (all males):

Buttercup
Silver Spangled Hamburg
Speckled Sussex
Partidge Rock
Buff Brahma
Black Langshans
Columbian Wyandotte
Surprise chick

They are under a heat plate right now, and have grow gel, water, and feed. They are eating, and chirping with gusto! Our plan is to put them under a broody tonight. She has been broody for about 3 weeks, and we've had her in the brooder for the last 5 days. But, she is unproven (never mothered chicks before), so its always a concern. But, we will put chicks under her after it is dark and hope she accepts them.
Is that black and yellow giant surprise I'm an ostrich???

Back
Top Bottom