What did you do in the garden today?

I got the "doors" cut and set for the compost bins and moved a little more than half to the new bin and one of the cleared raised beds. I need someone (who isn't nearly 67) to climb into the bin and smoosh down the tomato and squash vines to make more room before I can move much more into that bin. Then got distracted by the bajillion ripe cherry tomatoes that needed to be picked, brought those into the kitchen and got distracted by the half loaded dishwasher, remembered to call the neighbor to see if she was busy so I could take her a half bajillion cherry tomatoes. I also did get the cold brewed coffee strained and put in the fridge and got a new batch of that started and refilled the coffee ice cube trays. Went back outside and processed the vile smelling borage (smells like liquified cattle manure) compost tea and shared it out to the potted vegetables. I need to get another batch going since this is the end of the borage for the season, but I am just going to sit here for a little while. It is a lovely day, cool enough to get things done and with all the rain we've had lately I didn't have to fuss with watering.

Oh, and in case anyone else is a leek growing newbie, I harvested my leeks. This is some of them before trimming:
Leeks Before Trimming (1).jpg

And this is what they look like after trimming:
Leeks After Trimming.jpg

I'm so new to them I was surprised at how they looked before trimming and how different after.

And @penny1960, I'm sorry for the lost of your silky and I meant to say so earlier.

@NewBoots your leeks look great! I love to use them in so many things! I’m planning on adding them to the Spring garden, on my Amazon list of things to buy.
I am sitting here blinking...I've been fretting about getting my shallot and garlic sets and it never occurred to me to order them through amazon. :th

Greetings Everyone. ;lovely to read all your garden news.

I have been weeding today, but we have had rain, so I'll need to flick more soil off the biggest weeds tomorrow, as so much stuck to the roots. I'm going to put cloches there next, to warm the soil for beans. Tomorrow, if the rain stays away, I will fork over another area for root crops.

I grew some Zinderella zinnias last year, and was a bit disappointed that so many of them were single. I began wondering whether they set seed or are a sterile hybrid, and a bit of web searching tells me that you can save the seeds, and hand pollinating the best blooms is the way to improve the line. I found an intriguing thread about breeding zinnias at https://garden.org/thread/view/34248/It-can-be-fun-to-breed-your-own-zinnias/?offset=
It's not as if I *need* another project, but as I was going to grow them anyway, I may as well give it a whirl!

Back
Top Bottom