What did you do in the garden today?

Allthefloofs

Songster
Sep 16, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
I can’t keep lemon balm alive either!
Our neighbors have seen roof rats run along their walls but so far we’ve been lucky. We poisoned one that was living in the shed but haven’t seen any around since. My melons were gown in a covered garden and might have been more work to get to than they cared to put in. I dunno.

I usually plant carrots mid October to November depending on temps. Have you ever checked out Native Seed Search? I love their seeds, usually have pretty good germination rates and they are from plants grown in the hot zones rather than the cooler climates. They aren’t as cheap as what you can find in the stores though.

I don’t have any particular favorites for types of anything yet, except the Scarlet Nantes carrots. They are shorter than what you get in the store but so good! I have bunnies too so whatever greens we don’t care for they get, but we share it all with them and the chickens.
I like the Nantes carrots too, there is a Parisian variety that is round and those are incredibly sweet and tender, but one bite, which in the end makes me sad. I just grow lots of them! I'll check out the Native Seed Search, that sounds really interesting! A lot of what I grow is stuff we eat, and then about half is for the chickens. Sometimes my husband gets grumpy because I feed the girls the rainbow chard and he would like it for dinner!

NewBoots

Crowing
Nov 30, 2018
Lakeside, OR
The mustard we planted is doing well, and we picked leaves here and there and sautéed them for dinner - they were liked by all. It was our first time eating mustard greens. We have two types planted, so next time, I'll try the "Red Giant" variety, as those leaves were a little smaller than the green variety.
Dragon tongue was the one I planted last fall and they were delicious, I'll try to get some plants on our next trip to the nursery.
family Birthday weekend, so made a bundt cake called "Hot Chocolate Coffee Rum Cake". Yes, its as good as it sounds. Even better, it has a caramelized rum sauce poured over the bottom (after holes are poked into the cake) so the cake gets this caramelized sauce inside, then the rest is used as a glaze.
That sounds awesome! Of course you know thus means we need the recipe.
Sometimes my husband gets grumpy because I feed the girls the rainbow chard and he would like it for dinner!
Our rabbits and chickens have gotten the lion's share of the chard this year, DP has complained, but we had so much kale and beet greens we didn't really miss it. Since the chard is now the last green standing we'll get to have some now.

I just opened the bottle of southern pepper sauce and it's delicious! My lips are still hot. :) I'll try it on the chard and rice I'm making with dinner. Now I really want to try some of the cowboy candy.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
Here is the recipe for anyone interested along with @NewBoots.

https://wishesndishes.com/hot-chocolate-coffee-rum-cake/

The recipe calls for a "liquid Hot Chocolate" product .... OR Buttermilk. I used buttermilk, as the LHC product mentioned does not seem to exist :idunno

I mis-read the recipe and actually had my oven at 350F - It was perfectly cooked, so maybe the recipe had the typo.

But, the recipe is a keeper! And it was good for breakfast!

Fishychix

Crowing
May 20, 2020
NE Ohio
Here is the recipe for anyone interested along with @NewBoots.

https://wishesndishes.com/hot-chocolate-coffee-rum-cake/

The recipe calls for a "liquid Hot Chocolate" product .... OR Buttermilk. I used buttermilk, as the LHC product mentioned does not seem to exist :idunno

I mis-read the recipe and actually had my oven at 350F - It was perfectly cooked, so maybe the recipe had the typo.

But, the recipe is a keeper! And it was good for breakfast!
THANK YOU!

Stepnout

Songster
May 6, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
We already made 20 ponds of Green Tomato Chow. Remember I’m the guy who can’t ripen tomatoes! Well I’ve proven myself wrong. The first picture is from last week, wow these are so deliciou. The second picture is from today. Five gallon plant bucket of ripe tomatoes and 2 five gallon and 1 seven gallon green tomatoes. Wow what a year. We are expecting rain for the next 3 days so I picked them before they rot.

Attachments

drstratton

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Mar 15, 2020
Eastern WA - USA
My Coop
Hi everybody! Once again, I am way behind on this thread and with my garden! We helped our youngest son and his family move after they sold their house! We put over 2000 miles on our truck and it took 6 days...but it is done! Yay!
First...a question! What recipe do you all use to make green tomato chow?

Now, to share what I did in my garden today! We harvested our Poblano peppers, charred them and stuck them in the freezer!
Poblanos 9.28.2020.jpg

2 of 4 pans for the freezer! After they are frozen, I will place serving sizes into Ziploc bags and then seal those in larger Foodsaver bags!
Poblanos 2 of 4 pans ready for freezing 9.28.2020.jpg

Just for fun an update on the baby rabbits...the remaining 9 are quickly growing! 💞

igorsMistress

Crossing the road barefoot.
Premium Feather Member
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
Hi everybody! Once again, I am way behind on this thread and with my garden! We helped our youngest son and his family move after they sold their house! We put over 2000 miles on our truck and it took 6 days...but it is done! Yay!
First...a question! What recipe do you all use to make green tomato chow?

Now, to share what I did in my garden today! We harvested our Poblano peppers, charred them and stuck them in the freezer!
View attachment 2352487

2 of 4 pans for the freezer! After they are frozen, I will place serving sizes into Ziploc bags and then seal those in larger Foodsaver bags!
View attachment 2352494

Just for fun an update on the baby rabbits...the remaining 9 are quickly growing! 💞
Nice haul! I love roasted poblanos! Especially if I can get what’s his name to char them on the grill.

Top Bottom