What did you do in the garden today?

We have had a couple of frosty nights and I didn't want to do nothing inside yesterday, so I pulled almost everything. I picked all the tomatoes on the vines, and will ripen them wherever I can find the space. All of the tomato plants and stakes were pulled, most of the marigolds were pulled (they were still happy, but I decided to consolidate everything), lemon balm was pulled (growing like crazy, but not being used), pulled my fall planting of squash seedlings (dying from frost), trimmed the Brussels sprouts (the buds are getting bigger!), relocated all the nasturtiums to the same area, and relocated the sage and rosemary by the parsley and thyme. I'm not terribly hopeful that the relocating will stick, but I couldn't just kill everything (maybe it will survive the winter:confused:). I left the gaillardia where it was because I hope to get more seed heads from it/them. The garden is so much smaller, now, but I feel less bad about semi-neglecting it.
I hope to have our own house before planting time in the Spring so I can be less limited, but we will see what God has planned!
79360A41-727F-4179-A5F3-DDB14397534D.jpeg

4ABF0639-9D3E-457F-BAEC-D1868BBB99B0.jpeg

Morning all. Chilly start, but still no frost! I can't believe that. :idunno

Got all the garlic planted yesterday, a bed & a half of it. Got the roof on the little garden shed, that should help keep it dry. I picked up crockpots from my Mom & my sister, the plan is to do 6 batches of the salted caramel pear jam, hopefully I have the room. I'm going to start peeling & chopping pears today, will cook them & mash them up, refrigerate overnight & then cook them with the sugar tomorrow to can. Hopefully that plan all works.

I know it was early, but my back was feeling good so I put up the plastic around the small chicken run. I'm glad to have it done while it's not freezing cold out. I think the girls are all ready for winter now. I just need to collect some leaves to put down over the snow for them & for the compost pile, but the trees are still holding onto them!

Have a fantastic day all.

Good morning gardeners. I got the lemon balm and bells of fire planted, hubs cleaned up all the weeds around the oleanders so all I need to do out there is plant and do the borders to hold water, then mulch. I got sick though, ran a fever last night and was achey, now tummy issues this morning. Our daytime highs are now what our overnight lows were not long ago. We ended up with 145 days at 100+ degrees this year, 53 over 110 and we shattered some records. I don’t know that I’m going to keep chickens any more, we’ll see. We may see some rain next weekend which would be great, our nonsoon this year certainly didn’t help the drought. This week I’ll be adding the dirt to the garden and getting things prepped for planting. We just need cooler temps, still in the mid 90s. I have the pots ready to plant grass for the buns so as soon as daytime temps are in the 70s I can get those going also.

I'm going to start peeling & chopping pears today, will cook them & mash them up, refrigerate overnight & then cook them with the sugar tomorrow to can. Hopefully that plan all works.
DP picked up some pears yesterday 'cuz I said I'd make some of that caramel pear butter if she would get me some pears so I'll be making some too.

I'm so sorry @igorsMistress, the weather there just seems crazy. Any chance of moving to a gentler climate? The Pacific Northwest has lots of room and we'd be glad to have you! :)

DP picked up some pears yesterday 'cuz I said I'd make some of that caramel pear butter if she would get me some pears so I'll be making some too.

I'm so sorry @igorsMistress, the weather there just seems crazy. Any chance of moving to a gentler climate? The Pacific Northwest has lots of room and we'd be glad to have you! :)
Awe thank you :love
I dunno what we’re going to do, but the heat here is definitely becoming an issue for the animals. Once hubs can retire we can sell the house and move to a cooler area.

Took the puppies to get spayed today. They are home now but definitely not feeling up to par. 😞
Hopefully they will feel better tomorrow when we can give them some more medicine.
I hope they feel better today Karen. They’ll probably be more normal tomorrow and you’ll be working to keep them calm by the weekend lol.

It's pretty good. I'm not a huge pear fan, I love the flavor but don't eat them because of the grit & the butter def has the grit & doesn't really taste like pear! But if I ate sugar, I'd for sure have some of it, grit or not. DH really liked it. It took a lot longer to cook than the recipe said for some reason for both me & my friend. I figured mine took longer because I did it in double batches but she only did one batch & it took forever she said. I think our pears may have been a little under ripe. :idunno Def glad we both started yesterday.

Anyway, morning all. Canning day here today, should be an all day thing - took me all day yesterday too to get the pear butter ready to go. Will be glad when it's over! Next years jam will be something that doesn't need to be peeled & chopped for sure. Back to cranberries in the food processor. :gig

Have a fantastic day everyone.

Good morning gardeners. The weather has been a bit warmer here. I have one more okra that should be ready to pick tomorrow. I find that very funny since it's a warm climate plant. Rain is in the forecast later today, however I will have time to get some outside work taken care of. My impatiens continue to do well inside and the smaller plant has even developed some flower buds. I always bring my rosemary indoors to overwinter, however the sage is a perennial and does just fine along with the other perennial herbs @Swiss. I've never had parsely last more than one season in a pot, however apparently it will go for two seasons planted in the ground. I'm curious to see if any of the seed that developed on it will revive it next Spring. Thyme is like a weed and it will continue to grow nicely as will oregano and chives. Although I did dry a lot of herbs, if there isn't too much snow on the ground in late November I can usually pick fresh herbs for Thanksgiving dinner. So nice. Time to get moving now. Have a great day everyone.
I just love my backyard view.
Autumn colors.JPG

Back
Top Bottom