What did you do in the garden today?

I hope they feel better today Karen. They’ll probably be more normal tomorrow and you’ll be working to keep them calm by the weekend lol.
Boy, you got that right!! This morning neither of them had their cone of shame on and Zelda not only had hers off, she had ripped it into 2 pieces! She still had on the collar that was supposed to keep the cone on her. :lau
I went ahead and gave them their pain meds for today and again this evening, but they do not act like they are in any pain at all! I have 2 more days worth but I don't know if I'm going to give it to them. I gave them both sedatives this morning, but you couldn't tell it. They are back to acting like they did before the surgery. We are keeping them inside more in order to keep them cleaner. It's been raining the past 4 days so it is pretty muddy outside.

I butchered one of my meat chickens today. She weighed 8 pounds 7 ounces dressed out.
I still have 7 more that I need to butcher. She was actually getting close to point of lay because she had 4 or 5 egg yolks of decent size in her, but she also had a lot of fat build up too.

I also made Zucchini relish today. I started it last night and finished it this afternoon. It had to sit for 12 hours to get the salt to draw out the extra moisture. Now I only have 11 zucchini on my counter. :gig

I think I will make a chow chow tomorrow to use up all of the green cherry tomatoes and hopefully I can use up some of the tomatillos too! I've never made chow chow before. Do any of you have a recipe that you love?

Egg production is way down here now. I only got 4 eggs today. 1 egg from the coop with no light and 3 eggs from the coop with lights. I have 28 female chickens, at least 20 of which are layers ( maybe a couple more than that) the others haven't reach POL yet. I have 6 roosters ( 2 of which are in the meat chicken group). 3 of the roosters were hatched this year and are all in the same chicken yard. I need to watch to see who is top rooster and then think about culling ( butchering) the 2 extras.

My garden is pretty well cleared out now except for the marigold plants and the cherry tomato plants ( which are dead, I just need to finish pulling them out).

Good afternoon gardeners. I hope you’ve all had a great day! @Wee Farmer Sarah and @Sueby thanks so much for the color pics :love We don’t get the changes in many trees around the metro area here, plus it has been warmer than usual so far this Fall. However, I saw this on the news and almost spit coffee on the tv
View attachment 2382062
Has anyone in here raised ducks before? If so, do you know if the water from their pools can be put directly into the garden? What about on vegetables? Asking for a friend :)
I saw that on my weather app and was like “Okayyyy, I want to believe I can wear my Uggs for a couple hours in the morning....but I am not going to get my hopes up.”

I have never raised ducks so I'm no help there - & I'd never heard of chow chow till a couple weeks ago. So again, no help, lol.

Slept with the AC on last night, it was so humid the floor in the bedroom was soaking wet. :idunno Check out the last day on my 10 day forecast (I doubt it, but it still makes me happy). :wee
Screenshot_20201022-054852.png

My cover crop is coming up really well, pretty sure I waaaay over seeded but whatever. I still have my rutabagas in the ground waiting for a frost. I feel like there won't be much too them, the beans took over the volunteer sungold & the tower collapsed on top of them so they didn't get any love till I pulled the mess a couple weeks ago.

Not much happening here, just getting excited for the new pullets coming on Sat. & can't wait for this election to be over so I can stop seeing the commercials & getting the junk mail! :gig Have a wonderful day gardeners!

I saw that on my weather app and was like “Okayyyy, I want to believe I can wear my Uggs for a couple hours in the morning....but I am not going to get my hopes up.”
Pretty much :gig I believe we’ll get rain when it actually happens. Otherwise there’s a slim chance even if the weather folks say it WILL happen.

Good afternoon gardeners. I hope you’ve all had a great day! @Wee Farmer Sarah and @Sueby thanks so much for the color pics :love We don’t get the changes in many trees around the metro area here, plus it has been warmer than usual so far this Fall. However, I saw this on the news and almost spit coffee on the tv
View attachment 2382062
Has anyone in here raised ducks before? If so, do you know if the water from their pools can be put directly into the garden? What about on vegetables? Asking for a friend :)
I raise ducks. I have 6 out there right now. The water is safe for plants, although I would dilute it further if it's really mucky. It's pretty much manure tea, which is a thing apparently in the garden world. Who knew?!

I raise ducks. I have 6 out there right now. The water is safe for plants, although I would dilute it further if it's really mucky. It's pretty much manure tea, which is a thing apparently in the garden world. Who knew?!
So it’s not hot like chicken poop?

Back
Top Bottom