What did you do in the garden today?

I get Red Mill steel cut and once in a while it gets hard to find in the stores. I am seriously a firm believer in making them with savory in mind. A lot like grits. Once they're done cooking I stick them in the oven to keep warm with a little parmesan or asiago cheese on top then cook bacon, shallots, eggs, mushrooms, split cherry tomatoes, and maybe some sliced avocado if I have any. Not all of those at once mind you. :)
You have to wonder if those hurt coming out?
I love those tiny eggs, especially when they have yokes like @WthrLady was saying.
I was just thinking quiche would be nice for breakfast this morning. @Sueby I make and freeze those muffin cup mini omelets too and they were perfect when I was still working as a fast breakfast. And they look so nice I've used them for garden brunches.

The ocean is roaring so loud it's almost scary, it sounds like I'm standing on some English clifftop overlooking a wild sea. Got out and saw to the bunnies and chickens and greenhouse this morning between squalls. The chickens The baby bunnies are growing really fast and seem perfectly fine outside. Everyone got some tomato skins and seeds I'd stashed in the freezer in September and set out to thaw last night. The buns were thrilled, the chickens not so much. Some of the ladies are molting, including Glyness who is now sans tail:
View attachment 2424958

We had an electrician come out to remove the smoke alarm in the living room. It's hard wired and all of them are linked so every time I make ribs the whole house sounds like an office fire-drill. Getting a quote from him to hard wire the coop/run and the rabbitat. Not much else going on right now in the garden, bye for now.
Thanks for that idea! I’ve never tried them with savory stuff, will definitely give that a try.

Cushaw pies cooling on the deck.
Quiche is in the oven.
That leaves me with 12 dozen eggs on the counter, and the little beasties are out there sleeping and brewing up more for the next boxes tomorrow! LOL. Country problems, eh?

Will have son make a custard tomorrow. I love to mix it with vanilla icecream.

As for steel cut oatmeal. I make a crockpot full (9=8-12 servings)and then pour it into a large storage container and toss it in the fridge overnight to cook. I slice it (8-12 pieces) and then wrap it and freeze it. Then I can just thaw in the microwave and add whatever. SO 3 minutes to nice, chunky, steel cut oatmeal. Bwahahahahaaaaa

Back
Top Bottom