What did you do in the garden today?

I need to contact gurney about my seed potatoes though. I would expect them to ship now but they are saying early to mid May
Yeah, my onion sets are supposed to ship mid-late May. Grrr..... Originally I saw end of March to mid April.

Ah, but the junk mail I'm getting is here now. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Not.

Today I did some weeding and the Little and I planted some seeds. Admired the new plants (none have died yet!) and the spring flowers. Got some dwarf daffofils as a gift that are just adorable!
16180139700824511136793379021094.jpg

Good afternoon gardeners. @Sueby I was happy to read that your toe is doing better! I just came in from watering and watching the ducks enjoy the fresh water in their kiddie pool. The water still runs cool despite the warm afternoons so that’s a plus. Our temps will be headed down to the 80s next week, that was a nice surprise, also less wind over the next few days. Tomorrow we’ll be weeding and straightening, I am going to try the new set up for draining the pond liner to water the oleanders and hubs is going to mount a gravity feeder in the duck house for me. I hate having stuff on the floor in there. The basil has bolted already and it’s not even six inches tall yet :rant Guess that will come out tomorrow as well. The TX sage is really coming back great and I’ve seen quite a few hummingbirds visiting the aloe flowers as well. I’m pretty sure one lives in the tree outside the duck house, I hear the little chirps out there all the time. I have an old cement bird bath that I’d like to do something with but I’m not sure what. I was thinking about painting it a different color and putting it in the shade garden as a water source for the lizards that live in there. If the elephant ears live it would look cute under those with the small gnomes near it maybe. It’s currently Chevy orange but it’ll definitelyneed to have a color change! Anyway, sorry to ramble, but it helps me think. Have a great night all!

Make sure to fence it in so the deer dont eat them. We got peaches once in 4 years cuz of the little buggers :rant

Good to know... I wouldn't have expected that! Although my peach tree probably won't produce fruit for 2-3 yrs yet.

I was thinking today about all the fruit and stuff that will be overwhelming me soon enough... I've got strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, Chokeberries, peaches, apples, grapes, plums, pomegranates, yacon, and lemons (although I don't think the lemons will make it). That's a LOT of fruit....

I ordered one from HD and I'm really excited about this one because it is a combination weed trimmer and mini mower. Not having to use it leaning over and holding it just so will save my tired old back a little grief.
Oooo, that sounds interesting. Care to link it? And I'd be very interested to hear how well it does or doesn't work too.
Here's the link from the homesteader I mentioned who did a LOT of research on tire gardening. It was her post that got me digging into whether tires were safe or not.
Thanks for the link, it was interesting reading. Our soil is terrible here too so we grow a lot of things in raised or otherwise built up beds. Tires sound like an economical option.

Finally bit the bullet and clipped the extra tomato and pepper sprouts, painful but necessary. All those baby plants:hit...It was in the low 30s again last night so they were pretty droopy this morning anyway so cutting them was ever more scary. I got the 120lb bale of orchard grass out of the suv. I had to cut the cords and take it out in flakes since I couldn't even budge it whole but I had to make room for the fishing gear in the car cuz a fishing trip was my reward. Not even a nibble, it's still too cold I think. Looks like it's going to be another dry year so I guess I'll have to get busy on the drip water system for the hedgerows. The shallots and garlic are doing great though, I'll need to weed them again tomorrow. I can't really complain too much about the weather, it's nice enough that I don't mind working outside and heaven knows it's good for me.

Back
Top Bottom