What did you do in the garden today?

That is what is charged here also more reason to have your own
Berry prices at our grocery store up here are usually in that ballpark too, but sometimes there are wild fluctuations that make no sense - like a couple weeks ago they had 16oz. packs of organic blueberries for less than the regular 6oz. packs of regular blueberries! Displayed right next to each other! And the organics were no more old/soft/rotten than the others.
There's nothing logical about prices at the grocery store any more, just a general trend of everything getting more expensive.
I wedged myself behind and under to keep him from cushing and cut his nails. I
Does "cushing" mean the way they spit regurgitated food when they get upset? I keep hearing that term, but I don't know if it means what I think it means.
I just realized that I have a week to.
Build at least 400ft of A frame trellis
Buy the last of my plants and chick supplies
Clean the entire house
Finish improvements on the coop which I don’t have supplies for yet
Pot up all 300 and something transplants
In addition to my normal schedule which includes work, weeding and harvesting.
I don’t know how this happened but it did.
Haha, my chore deadline is a bit different, but sounds a lot like yours - a list of tasks that would realistically need a hired crew to get done on time. Of course, for me, the highlighted part is probably what will not get done...
Gurneys used to be great but a few years ago they were bought out by another company that also owns Spring Hill and a lot of other companies. I think every company they’ve bought has gone severely down hill as soon as they were bought out. Particularly their shipping. People one the West Coast can still get stuff from Spring Hill somewhat reliably but if you want something shipped to the East Coast? It will take a month to ship and will be dead as a door nail. There are some exceptions but this is generally what happens.
Wow, thanks, that's good information. I didn't know Gurney's got bought out by a conglomerate - explains why they have deteriorated. The trees I bought from them were the ones that spent several weeks in their box traveling back and forth several times between Ohio and Kentucky before they finally made it here. Those trees are still dormant (if not dead? still not sure) while the ones I bought locally are budding already. I'm still waiting for two nut trees from them, too.

Periodically my workplace puts out random free things they want to get rid of, for people to take home, and tonight I scored some very useful finds: a large plastic tray thing that's perfect for holding seedling pots, a metal bin with a fitted lid that's just the right size for a bag of chicken feed (still need to remove the encouraging workplace messages glued to it) and a mini space heater with different settings that you can put on "auto" and set the temperature, then when the room reaches that temp it becomes a fan, or you can put it on "manual" to either crank out heat or be a fan. It's not "workplace compliant" because there's no automatic shutoff if it tips over, but all the settings still work perfectly! Wish I'd had this before I bought my heat mat and mini fan!

Garlic is looking absolutely fantastic though! But, hey, you more experienced gardeners I have a quick question. Is it normal to get more than one shoot from a single clove? I swear some of them have three...
No worries, hardneck does that sometimes. As long as you planted a variety for your area & only one clove at a time they'll be fine.

Morning all. They're talking snow here on Friday. :rant I haven't planted anything that can't take it so I don't need to worry, but still, WTH?

I can't find the email about my strawberries so I have no idea when they'll ship, I thought I selected end of April.

Nothing going on here today in the garden, chilly & gray.

Last edited:
The only thing I've ordered from Gurneys was fall raspberries...two different strains of gold raspberries. I ordered them in the fall and they weren't sent until mid-March. One is doing much better than the other but both have sprouted so I can't really complain.

What I've found, in general, is that all the plants or trees I buy locally usually do better than anything that was shipped. I've just had to learn the hard way where to buy locally and what to pass over. For example, I don't buy plants from TSC or Walmart anymore. Our local HARPS grocery store or Lowes usually has really great, healthy plants & trees at really good prices. Those plants & trees have been even better than what I find at the local nursery.

I still need to pick up another concord grape since mine was a casualty of the pasture fire that went out of control. I looked for some at Lowes this weekend. They had Catawba grapes out, but no concords. Grrr..... Guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Good morning gardeners. Yes, I've heard the forecast for snow on Friday @Sueby. I watch multiple channels for the news, but WHDH TV has the most reliable weather forecasts for my area so I make sure to catch their news. They were saying this morning that snow is most likely to be in the higher elevations with a mix to just rain in the lower lying areas. The temps are supposed to be above freezing, so I'm OK with getting some more precipitation. I'll still keep the herb gardens covered in leaf mulch for now and may cover the asparagus on Thursday afternoon. The temps are supposed to get to the low 60's today so I'm hoping to get started on pulling some weeds from the lawn. We did get nearly 1/4 inch of rain over the past 36 hours and the grass is greening up and growing. I'm really hoping the temps stay on the cool side for now to slow the blooming on the peach tree and lilac shrubs. I've not heard of Concord grapes being grown in the deep south @TJAnonymous. I thought they needed the cooler late summer temps to ripen. However, I'm only a consumer and have not tried growing these myself. It's really difficult to find farmers who grow them around here.

I had read that tulips get old, if you will. I have no idea how old they are but I've been here 4 years so at least that. So if I dug them up, would they be good to give to a friend, ya think? Then she could plant them at the right depth & do a reset? Or just compost them?

I have no use for such high maintenance. :gig :lau

& @WthrLady that is just heartbreaking with the boys staring like that. :hit This is a good reminder for me to hardware cloth a couple spots in my coop roof. They are about an inch big & I opened them up for air but didn't bother with the HC as there is no good way to attach it (metal roof).
My mom has a single surviving tulip plant in the front garden. It hasn't bloomed in YEARS (my memory tells me it has been over 10), but every year the leaves come up. This year, I bought some plant food for my orchids because they haven't done anything for about a year. I made too much, so I fed the tulip and my gaillardia that are coming back. Well... look who grew a bud:
image.jpg

Also, them digging themselves deeper explains why it is in the exact same spot even after I dug everything out to divide and space out!

@Wee Farmer Sarah we need the rain very badly! We didn't get a single drop these last couple days so I'm jealous of yours. I live on a bit of a hill so it tends to snow here a little more but I feel like it'll be too warm to be anything more than slush, if that.

@Swiss maybe I'll make some liquid fertilizer & feed them at some point, I forget about them because they're out front & I never go out front!

I hear you @Sueby. It's been so dry here, yesterday was a blessing. I get excited when it just gets humid. And I don't go out into the front yard all that much either. I skipped my morning walk today. Perhaps I'll go out later when it warms up a bit more. I did want to add that all my jalapenos are germinating and one of the poblanos is coming up as well. The second cell of poblanos is looking like there's something going on there, but no sign of green yet. I just ordered a spray bottle of Neem oil from Amazon. Just a small bottle since the last bottle I had expired before I could use it all.

Oh yea, my cayenne are starting to pop up too!

I can't stand the way neem oil smells. I use it in the garden, generally mixed with insecticidal soap, to get rid of the stupid squash bugs. It certainly doesn't take care of them all, but it helps a little. Then I stay out of the garden for a couple days cuz it stinks! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom